Highlighted
Respected Contributor
If knowing what to give is the issue. I would ask the girls what they would like for their birthday and Christmas. You are not obligated if you want or need to stop.
Valued Contributor
I agree with those who said not to stop cold turkey. It would probably cause hurt feelings.
Valued Contributor

Amazon gift cards to each one or gift certificate to a restaurant for the family.

Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

It seems to me like the economy has given people the perfect "out" in gift giving situations.   Everyone knows hat, especially retirees on fixed incomes, may be struggling now. Simply tell your recipients that you've been hit hard and you're simply going to have to cut back or discontinue gifting. Offer no further explanation.  End of problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Since the expense is becoming burdensome as the girls get older, you need to stop giving them expensive gifts.  Your needs come first.  I would give the older $25 gift cards tucked into a card with personal note.  I'd continue gifting the 7 year old but something smaller and less expensive.  My 10 year old niece is happiest when someone gives her outfits for her Barbie dolls or funny stuffed animal.  She also likes puzzles and books.

Esteemed Contributor

Communicate your reasons for needing to stop the gift exchange with the girls for birthdays and Christmas. If you do decide to continue with one or the other, select great books for their ages or give them gift certificates to your local book store.

Please do NOT give gift cards or makeup or items without lasting value. A well-chosen book will last a life-time and is often passed on to their own children and grandchildren!  These gifts, and you, will be remembered and cherished for decades. Books can be purchased at reasonable prices (watch for sales throughout the year) and you will be spending less than in the past.

My grandson has read well over 100 books purchased by family, friends and us throughout the years for our son. Each book was respected and loved; read and re-read by both boys 30 years apart! My son and DIL plan to save them for my GS when he has his own family (in the distant future).  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I don't know that young children, teens or even adults like books these days. Everything is all about electonics: e-books, streaming, music, gaming, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Re: When to Stop Gifting

[ Edited ]

I used to spend 50-80 dollars on gifts for my grand nephew and grand niece. Last year i had a job change. They are 7 and 9. I sent a card with a 20 dollar bill for their birthdays.They LOVED having their own money. They dont know previous gifts cost 3 times more.  Cash wowed them. I remember that feeling when i was a kid. 

I gave a family gift for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

Is this the same neighbor that painted their house with your colors?
I wouks just be honest about the economics or cut down in what you get them. I'm sure they wouldn't want you to be stressed about keeping up with the tradition. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I used to spend 50-80 dollars on gifts for my grand nephew and grand niece. Last year i had a job change. They are 7 and 9. I sent a card with a 20 dollar bill for their birthdays.The LOVED having their owm money. They dont know previous gifts cost 3 times more.  Cash wowed them. I remember that feeling when i was a kid. 

I gave a family gift for Christmas.

I agree.  Just get a cute card for each of them and add some cash.  It's doesn't have to be a lot.

They can get what they want and it makes life easier for not just you but for them as well since you don't have to worry about them not liking something.

I think it makes them feel more grown up to have their own cash too.  With cash there are no strings attached like there is with a gift card.