Trusted Contributor

When there can’t be a relationship or future

SO, OK, from my non credit, Human Relationships class; here’s another question to ponder:

Have you ever or has anyone ever, shared with you, their feelings, romantically, although,there was no chance, for a relationship, certainly no future between you? 

Maybe be one or both of you were married, in a committed relationship, or seriously dating.  Maybe your paths crossed, and you bonded, but your lives were utterly different, and/or separated by great distance.  Maybe you had such different beliefs and values, that attraction couldn’t overcome the differences.  For whatever reason, you were never going to be together, but still, at least one of you shared your feelings, even if it was simply to say, 

“Another place, another time”!

Whether it’s happened to you, or not, how do you feel about this kind of sharing?

(a) Sad, maybe, but some feelings need to remain unsaid.  

(b) You’d have to be in the situation to decide; if it was a new thing an infatuation, maybe, I don’t think I’d say anything. If it was a situation I’d been dealing with for a long time, it might be very hard not to let the other person know. 

(c)  If I had strong feelings for the person, I would very likely let them know. Maybe it would be just to let them know why I couldn’t be around them, maybe it would be to take my chance, but yes, I’d let them know. 

What do you think 

Honored Contributor

Re: When there can’t be a relationship or future

Sounds like a Harlequin Romance or

a Lifetime Movie of the Week. 

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

SO, OK, from my non credit, Human Relationships class; here’s another question to ponder:

Have you ever or has anyone ever, shared with you, their feelings, romantically, although,there was no chance, for a relationship, certainly no future between you? 

Maybe be one or both of you were married, in a committed relationship, or seriously dating.  Maybe your paths crossed, and you bonded, but your lives were utterly different, and/or separated by great distance.  Maybe you had such different beliefs and values, that attraction couldn’t overcome the differences.  For whatever reason, you were never going to be together, but still, at least one of you shared your feelings, even if it was simply to say, 

“Another place, another time”!

Whether it’s happened to you, or not, how do you feel about this kind of sharing?

(a) Sad, maybe, but some feelings need to remain unsaid.  

(b) You’d have to be in the situation to decide; if it was a new thing an infatuation, maybe, I don’t think I’d say anything. If it was a situation I’d been dealing with for a long time, it might be very hard not to let the other person know. 

(c)  If I had strong feelings for the person, I would very likely let them know. Maybe it would be just to let them know why I couldn’t be around them, maybe it would be to take my chance, but yes, I’d let them know. 

What do you think 

I think you want us to do your homework. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  LOL but she may be surveying and writing up a final summary based on different answers.

I find the questions too general to be valid.  jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

I  would pick A 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been happily married since I was 19.

I have been asked out by two different men over the years who 100% knew I was married.  They asked me repeatedly, even though I told them to kiss off.

I had to listen to them stating I was their soul mate , etc.  Finally, I had enough and was rude and nasty to them.  They stopped, but it took a while.

I didn't like it at all.  I felt that they did not respect me and there was a snowballs chance in hell that anything was going to go their way. I didn't like either guy and they were not my type..even if I was single....no way.

On the flip side of the coin, I met a guy where was an instant attraction and electricity when he was near me.  I didn't know he was mutually attracted to me until one day he asked me out.  I turned him down saying I was married...he knew that.  He was so embarrassed and apologetic and  I never saw him again.  ( he used to come in where I worked). I heard he got married and that his wife, whom I knew, hated me.

We can't help the way we feel, but if we promised another to be faithful, that needs to be respected.

I have never regretted my choices.

If someone is already taken or you know it isn't possible, you should keep your feelings to yourself.

Choice A

Respected Contributor

From personal experience, answer A.  No good could ever come from sharing such feelings under such circumstances.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Difficult.  I am wavering between between b and c.  It is nice when people can express themselves honestly and sincerely with no strings attached.   But I would have to determine if a romantic confession would adversely affect the individual.

Honored Contributor

Sounds liike information I would keep to myself.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I’ve been there and it never turns out well. Therefore, I’d pick A