Respected Contributor

Re: When something takes you back to a simpler and/or happier time

@Mombo1   Really?  I've never seen the 3 piece package.... I only know of the one piece in chocolate.  That's pretty cool.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

Fishing with my Grandpa, Dad and twin brother in Southold Bay. (Eastern Long Island)

We always caught sand sharks, and my dad with bare hands would take them off the hook and throw them up into the air for the circling seagulls to eat.

Such fun.............

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

To this day, I miss Patio TV dinners. They were Mexican food frozen dinners on an aluminum tray. The dinner that was my favorite had 2 cheese enchiladas, 3 tiny beef tacos, rice, and beans.

We would cook our TV dinners, take them into the family den, and eat on TV trays. It was a family event that only happened once in a while. How I wish I could have that experience one more time!

@On It 

Oh, I loved those things, too! Also, the El Chico frozen Mexican dinners. I live in Texas, so,that one may be a chain only in my state. Probably no nutritional value, whatsoever, but, who cared back then, right?!!😄😄😄

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@Mombo1 That's a great memory.  🍫. I remember my dad telling me that also in the 30's, 3 Musketeers bars were originally 3 pieces, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry in one package.  Similar candy!

Really? That makes the name finally make sense!

Flava Straws....my brothers and I would take the paper straw apart and put the little flavor piece (it was like felt fabric) into the milk. Sometimes we'd put more than one piece in a glass of milk. My dad was frugal, he didn't like that. He also wasn't a fan of the flava straws. My mom must've bought them for us.

I liked the strawberry, too, and the vanilla the best.

EDIT: responded to the wrong thread, the list must've jumped. Woman Wink

I think I remember the three flavor musketeer bar, but it may have been from hearing about it. I do remember the Sky bar, tho.

How about banana turkish taffy?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I miss the old country stores that always had  Coca-Cola in small bottles in an old ice chest that you just reach it and grab one out of the ice. My school bus would make a stop every afternoon on the way home for those that wanted to to get off and grab a snack. I always got a Butternut candy bar to go with my coke. You'd think I would have gained a ton of weight but, like someone else mentioned, we were always outside running and playing.😁😁😁

Great memories of a slower paced life. Sure do miss those days.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@On It wrote:

To this day, I miss Patio TV dinners. They were Mexican food frozen dinners on an aluminum tray. The dinner that was my favorite had 2 cheese enchiladas, 3 tiny beef tacos, rice, and beans.

We would cook our TV dinners, take them into the family den, and eat on TV trays. It was a family event that only happened once in a while. How I wish I could have that experience one more time!

@On It 

Oh, I loved those things, too! Also, the El Chico frozen Mexican dinners. I live in Texas, so,that one may be a chain only in my state. Probably no nutritional value, whatsoever, but, who cared back then, right?!!😄😄😄

For some reason in my part of Texas they stopped selling the El Chico frozen dinners a few years ago.  I always kept a few in my freezer at all times.  Especially when the restaurant itself closed on us.  Mercy now I am craving bad for one @Sapphiregal 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA Glad that this is a happier time for you.  Me, not so much.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

the other day i was thinking about the 1964 Worlds Fair in New York and googled 1964 Worlds Fair NY photos and was def brought back in time to a  "simpler time"........we went twice......it was AMAZING....and still think the same thing looking at the pics .............that great experience could never happen in this country today sadly.....

Oh yeah, I went too.  My Mom took me and one of my brothers (as I recall).  It was SO exciting.  The entry way with that large metal globe welcoming all the visitors.  There is a name for it that escapes me right now.  That was still standing the last time I was over that way.  Riding on those conveyor belts thru some of the exhibits - GM, Bell Telephone, and I forget what all else there was, so much to see and the future looked bright!!

I guess the closest thing we have to this nowadays is Disney World - Epcot Center - and things like that.  I think I may have gotten a small snow globe as a souvenier, but I don't still have it.  I used to love those things.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN   I think it was called the Unisphere...DW

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEANThe metal globe , called the Unisphere, is still standing in all its glory in Flushing Meadow, Queens. Still looks great and majestic.

There are lots of things that take me back to simpler times. Seeing old time candy that was available when I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's. Vermont Country Store is a treasure trove of those goodies.

I think the most wonderful thoughts of simpler times for me, are Christmas tree decorations that I grew up with. I loved that time of year and to get to see our decorations was warm, fuzzy and a safe loving place. It just comforted me for some reason to see them every year. My mom always wrapped them up meticulously every year to store them again.

My mom has now passed and I have them. They still fill me with wonder and simpler times. I would still go and decorate my mom and dads tree every year since I was a kid. It was always fun. My mom has not been gone very long. She almost made 100. It was great to have her into my 60's. We were thick as thieves, lol, and she was my best friend. Last year was the first time I had those decorations on MY tree at home. Tearful and happy at the same time.

IMO, Lenny Kravits is such a fashion icon to me. I love that he maintaines his 70's style. Bell bottoms, leather suede, fringe belts, scarves and boots. It was simpler times when I dressed like that too.