Respected Contributor

Re: When selling jewelry with multiple stones in it ....

Soooo, what jewelry store are you going to hit tomorrow?Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Soooo, what jewelry store are you going to hit tomorrow?Woman LOL

Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

The carat weight gives the weight of a stone - not really that helpful in determining how it will show in the jewelry.  Two one carat stones, while the same weight may vary significantly in dimension based on the cut; one may have a wide table, and one may be cut more deeply.

The millimeter measurements are much more helpful in visualizing the size of the stone.

I have often wished QVC would give the mm size of the main stones, I believe the carat weight is usually provided.

@Drythe, yep.  Also consider the density of a Sapphire to say, an Amethyst would be different.  So a 6x9 oval in one stone may be a carat weight of 1.00 could very well be a 2.5 carat weight of another stone.

You are so right @itiswhatitis, what may be a carat in one stone is not a carat in another. I love fire opals and their carart weight is much didfferent than a diamond.

@JaneMarple@Drythe@itiswhatitisWell saidWoman Very Happy

Just another day of dramaWoman Wink

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

BTW - a jeweler would usually have a setting with the small side stones already in place - and could tell you the carat weight of those stones - then you would pick a center stone , maybe a diamond or maybe a color stone, which he would then set in that setting for you.

This type of mounting is called a semi mount.  Many times the center is filled with cz to let the buyer see a visual of  the size of stone the head will accommodate .  If the buyer wants a larger stone they can either get a larger head installed or find another semi mount  that will accommodate a larger stone.

I totally understand wanting to know the Carat weight of the ring and what the stones weigh in the setting by size.  Most jewelry store still have this practice, I was just in one last week looking at Tacori mounts and semi mounts.  They all had the carat weights on the tag.

Carat is a unit of weight of precious stones = 200mg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmeraldagooch generally the jeweler does not have a head(setting for the center stone) in the setting until a customer orders the stone , then he solders in the appropriate head to accomodate that stone.

My grandfather was a jeweler so I do know a bit about jewelry. And I do know that , other than TV shopping channels, they do know and tell you before you buy, the carat weight of each stone if that is what you want to know. They certainly tell you the carat weight of a center stone you are purchasing to be put into a setting. If a jeweler wouldn't or couldn't tell me this - I'd probably walk out. I've inherited a lot of jewelry and I've had many of my Grandmother's stones reset. My SIL & I are sorta experts at it by now.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch generally the jeweler does not have a head(setting for the center stone) in the setting until a customer orders the stone , then he solders in the appropriate head to accomodate that stone.

My grandfather was a jeweler so I do know a bit about jewelry. And I do know that , other than TV shopping channels, they do know and tell you before you buy, the carat weight of each stone if that is what you want to know. They certainly tell you the carat weight of a center stone you are purchasing to be put into a setting. If a jeweler wouldn't or couldn't tell me this - I'd probably walk out. I've inherited a lot of jewelry and I've had many of my Grandmother's stones reset. My SIL & I are sorta experts at it by now.

The store I worked in bought the rings set with the diamonds if they were 1 CT or smaller or with cz's or for the visual from the vendor for the showroom cases. It's much easier to sell a ring if you can see it filled on the hand.

Some ladies had their own diamonds they brought in and we created custom rings or ordered the mounts in with the appropriate head to fit them from the manufacturer.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My grandfather was a jeweler so I do know a bit about jewelry. And I do know that , other than TV shopping channels, they do know and tell you before you buy, the carat weight of each stone if that is what you want to know. They certainly tell you the carat weight of a center stone you are purchasing to be put into a setting. If a jeweler wouldn't or couldn't tell me this - I'd probably walk out. I've inherited a lot of jewelry and I've had many of my Grandmother's stones reset.

My SIL & I are sorta experts at it by now.

Naturally. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My grandfather was a jeweler so I do know a bit about jewelry. And I do know that , other than TV shopping channels, they do know and tell you before you buy, the carat weight of each stone if that is what you want to know. They certainly tell you the carat weight of a center stone you are purchasing to be put into a setting. If a jeweler wouldn't or couldn't tell me this - I'd probably walk out. I've inherited a lot of jewelry and I've had many of my Grandmother's stones reset.

My SIL & I are sorta experts at it by now.

Naturally. 

@GenXmuseAnd about everything it seemsWoman Wink