Honored Contributor

Re: When selling jewelry with multiple stones in it ....

@Drythe  If a person is an experienced jewelry buyer, she knows about what size a one carat stone will be.  Most American don't have a clue as to how large a millimeter is.  If you'd describe a one carat diamond in mm, it would sound very small indeed. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

BTW - a jeweler would usually have a setting with the small side stones already in place - and could tell you the carat weight of those stones - then you would pick a center stone , maybe a diamond or maybe a color stone, which he would then set in that setting for you.

@151949Then I would say that if you want a piece of jewerly, then you need to go to the store to see the size.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe  If a person is an experienced jewelry buyer, she knows about what size a one carat stone will be.  Most American don't have a clue as to how large a millimeter is.  If you'd describe a one carat diamond in mm, it would sound very small indeed. 

@Kachina624

I was speaking of my preference.

I'm a relatively experienced gemstone buyer, I know a 1 Ct round diamond is generally 6 mm. With my experience comes the knowledge that it can vary, so I'd like to know the mm size too.

It seems simple enough to show the mm size or at least say it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I kinda guesstimate by counting stones and eyeballing the piece.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In a jewelry store you can see what you are buying. Here on the video or on TV it is so blown up in size you can't really ascertain how big the stones will be. This is a different world completely from buying in a store. 

What do I need Esmarelda for - I am able to make opinions of my own - I don't need her or anyone else to tell me what to think.

Gracious as always!

@Mj12, standing ovation.  You nailed it.

I agree 100% and YES she did!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I wish they would tell you the sizes of the individual stones. For instance a halo ring has a center stone and stones surrounding it - why can't they say it is 1 carat center stone and the 12 stones around the halo are 4 points each totaling 1.48.  I hate that they never tell you the sizes of the individual stones, but just give the total. Same with band rings, esp if they are graduated in size, they need to say one 10 point , two 7 point and two 5 point equaling 34 points total.Just saying  it's a third of a carat doesn't really tell me anything.

I've seen jewelry presentations where all the pertinent information is provided.  This has typically been my experience with ShopNBC before it became Evine.  Not sure now, but I think this network goes into more detail about their jewelry than the other big two.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

You are right.  They just want you to buy it without giving a full description and you have some people that fall for it.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

@151949 wrote:

BTW - a jeweler would usually have a setting with the small side stones already in place - and could tell you the carat weight of those stones - then you would pick a center stone , maybe a diamond or maybe a color stone, which he would then set in that setting for you.

@151949Then I would say that if you want a piece of jewerly, then you need to go to the store to see the size.

@SisterGoldenHair

Drop the mike!  Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

The carat weight gives the weight of a stone - not really that helpful in determining how it will show in the jewelry.  Two one carat stones, while the same weight may vary significantly in dimension based on the cut; one may have a wide table, and one may be cut more deeply.

The millimeter measurements are much more helpful in visualizing the size of the stone.

I have often wished QVC would give the mm size of the main stones, I believe the carat weight is usually provided.

@Drythe, yep.  Also consider the density of a Sapphire to say, an Amethyst would be different.  So a 6x9 oval in one stone may be a carat weight of 1.00 could very well be a 2.5 carat weight of another stone.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

The carat weight gives the weight of a stone - not really that helpful in determining how it will show in the jewelry.  Two one carat stones, while the same weight may vary significantly in dimension based on the cut; one may have a wide table, and one may be cut more deeply.

The millimeter measurements are much more helpful in visualizing the size of the stone.

I have often wished QVC would give the mm size of the main stones, I believe the carat weight is usually provided.

@Drythe, yep.  Also consider the density of a Sapphire to say, an Amethyst would be different.  So a 6x9 oval in one stone may be a carat weight of 1.00 could very well be a 2.5 carat weight of another stone.

You are so right @itiswhatitis, what may be a carat in one stone is not a carat in another. I love fire opals and their carart weight is much didfferent than a diamond.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson