Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 794
Registered: ‎04-20-2020

Re: When posting a review on clothing, PLEASE........

Unfortunately, reviews are pretty much useless.  I can tell you that NYDJ don't work for me as I can not find my size.  They slide down when I order my regular size and when I size down like everyone says.....they fit me like a sausage casing in the thighs, knees and in the calves.  So......I wear Kut in my regular size.  Also, Laurie Felt seems identical to NYDJ.  

 

Many will disagree and say they got a great fit with NYDJ and Laurie Felt....so yes, reviews are useless.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,322
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: When posting a review on clothing, PLEASE........


@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

One of the Denim and Co. tops I bought recently had many reviews that it ran small.  So I sized up.  Well, it was too big on me.  I sent it back for an exchange, but my size/color was sold out.

 

So, the only thing I want to read in reviews is like @noodleann said.  I want to know the weight of the fabric, what it feel like, how it washes, and how well it was made.  

 

For the fit, I go by what it looks like on the models, my previous experience with that designer, and the online measurements.  If the online measurements don't match what I got, then I send it back as defective and expect a full refund.  I am not talking about small differences.  But it it is off by an inch or two, that can make a big difference for me in the fit.  If the customers keep insisting that the online info matches their clothing, maybe QVC will insist on that too from their manufacturers.


@PUPPY LIPS   I used to look carefully at the models and the hosts, but the last two items I've ordered were being worn by Shawn.  I am convinced that the clothes she models are tailored just for her.  They look really good and her, and I've had to return both items.  Smiley Sad

Contributor
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎04-29-2010

Re: When posting a review on clothing, PLEASE........


@Retired 08 wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

One of the Denim and Co. tops I bought recently had many reviews that it ran small.  So I sized up.  Well, it was too big on me.  I sent it back for an exchange, but my size/color was sold out.

 

So, the only thing I want to read in reviews is like @noodleann said.  I want to know the weight of the fabric, what it feel like, how it washes, and how well it was made.  

 

For the fit, I go by what it looks like on the models, my previous experience with that designer, and the online measurements.  If the online measurements don't match what I got, then I send it back as defective and expect a full refund.  I am not talking about small differences.  But it it is off by an inch or two, that can make a big difference for me in the fit.  If the customers keep insisting that the online info matches their clothing, maybe QVC will insist on that too from their manufacturers.


@PUPPY LIPS   I used to look carefully at the models and the hosts, but the last two items I've ordered were being worn by Shawn.  I am convinced that the clothes she models are tailored just for her.  They look really good and her, and I've had to return both items.  Smiley Sad



I agree 100%.  I believe the clothes the hosts wear as well as the models are tailored for them.  How can everything they wear fit them so perfectly?   That doesn't happen to me when I order.  It gets old.......and expensive.....to order an item that looks terrific on everyone on set.......and have it look very wrong on me.  Back it goes for $6.95!!  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,322
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: When posting a review on clothing, PLEASE........


@darlingN wrote:

@Retired 08 wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

One of the Denim and Co. tops I bought recently had many reviews that it ran small.  So I sized up.  Well, it was too big on me.  I sent it back for an exchange, but my size/color was sold out.

 

So, the only thing I want to read in reviews is like @noodleann said.  I want to know the weight of the fabric, what it feel like, how it washes, and how well it was made.  

 

For the fit, I go by what it looks like on the models, my previous experience with that designer, and the online measurements.  If the online measurements don't match what I got, then I send it back as defective and expect a full refund.  I am not talking about small differences.  But it it is off by an inch or two, that can make a big difference for me in the fit.  If the customers keep insisting that the online info matches their clothing, maybe QVC will insist on that too from their manufacturers.


@PUPPY LIPS   I used to look carefully at the models and the hosts, but the last two items I've ordered were being worn by Shawn.  I am convinced that the clothes she models are tailored just for her.  They look really good and her, and I've had to return both items.  Smiley Sad



I agree 100%.  I believe the clothes the hosts wear as well as the models are tailored for them.  How can everything they wear fit them so perfectly?   That doesn't happen to me when I order.  It gets old.......and expensive.....to order an item that looks terrific on everyone on set.......and have it look very wrong on me.  Back it goes for $6.95!!  


@darlingN   I know!!  I ordered two items of clothing from a show that Shawn was on.  I watched the videos carefully.  Both items looked like something I would really enjoy.  Well, I had to return both items.  Neither looked anything like they appeared on Shawn or the models.  Every aspect of the fit was different, and it wasn't just because of different sizes and shapes.  The garments were different in all areas of fit - I owe one more easy pay on both garments.  I returned them immediately and I'm still paying for them.  I'm not any more clothing with any hope that it will fit.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,322
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: When posting a review on clothing, PLEASE........

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

Only my doctor knows my height and weight. It's no one's business what my body is like, and a review as described would be way TMI. If you want to see fit, look at the models. Usually they have a range of body types. If you've hit the half-century mark without a sense of the clothing that works for you, some anon's oversharing review isn't going to help much.

 

I value the reviews for info on how the garment washed, whether it shrank or ran, if the fabric felt thick or thin or sleazy, whether the plaids match, if the buttons are difficult to secure, if the zippers tend to stick, if the pockets are badly placed, if seams gave way or trim looked tacky in person, etc. I just nixed buying something that I've coveted for a long time here after reading reviews of how unpleasant it felt against the skin. That's info you'll never get in a presentation.

 

 


@noodleann   I don't think anyone is judging your size.  It's helpful information and unless all your friends know your nic, no one knows who you are.  I don't mind at all giving my height, weight or bust measurments if I think it will help another woman make an informed choice.  QVC hosts are only here to sell you the garment.  They are certainly not going to say " if you are thick in the middle, this isn't going to work."    

 

And, please consider this, the models and the hosts aren't wearing these clothing items "off the rack" like we are.  They have definitely been altered to fit them properly, so you can't always go by how the item looks on the models.  Many years ago, the models would not show the back because they used clothespins to make the fit look better. I remember Mary Beth Rowe would always ask if the model could show the back before she asked them if they would turn around. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,457
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: When posting a review on clothing, PLEASE........


@Retired 08 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Only my doctor knows my height and weight. It's no one's business what my body is like, and a review as described would be way TMI. If you want to see fit, look at the models. Usually they have a range of body types. If you've hit the half-century mark without a sense of the clothing that works for you, some anon's oversharing review isn't going to help much.

 

I value the reviews for info on how the garment washed, whether it shrank or ran, if the fabric felt thick or thin or sleazy, whether the plaids match, if the buttons are difficult to secure, if the zippers tend to stick, if the pockets are badly placed, if seams gave way or trim looked tacky in person, etc. I just nixed buying something that I've coveted for a long time here after reading reviews of how unpleasant it felt against the skin. That's info you'll never get in a presentation.

 

 


@noodleann   I don't think anyone is judging your size.  It's helpful information and unless all your friends know your nic, no one knows who you are.  I don't mind at all giving my height, weight or bust measurments if I think it will help another woman make an informed choice.  QVC hosts are only here to sell you the garment.  They are certainly not going to say " if you are thick in the middle, this isn't going to work."    

 

And, please consider this, the models and the hosts aren't wearing these clothing items "off the rack" like we are.  They have definitely been altered to fit them properly, so you can't always go by how the item looks on the models.  Many years ago, the models would not show the back because they used clothespins to make the fit look better. I remember Mary Beth Rowe would always ask if the model could show the back before she asked them if they would turn around. Smiley LOL


Your name on these forums is your review name. So much for people not knowing who you are. It's meaningless that you or anyone else doesn't mind oversharing private information. I won't post that info. It's also completely unnecessary.

 

Every QVC clothing listing I've seen that's not as-is includes the line, "To see the specific garment measurements for this item, click here." The "click here" is a link to fractional measurements of the garment in question. 

 

On a Joan Rivers blouse currently listed, for example, those measurements include:

  • Front Body Length from HPS Up to 36"
  • Back Body Length from HPS Up to 36"
  • Chest Circumference, 1" Below Armhole
  • Across Back Shoulder
  • Across Front 5" From HPS
  • Across Back 5.5" From HPS
  • Sleeve Length from Cap
  • Sleeve Length from CB
  • Armhole Height Straight
  • Muscle Circumference 1" Below Armhole
  • Long Sleeve Opening Circumference
  • Front Neck Drop from Imaginary Line at HPS To Seam
  • Back Neck Drop from Imaginary Line at HPS To Seam
  • Neck Width Seam-Seam
  • Front Bottom Opening - Seam to Seam

(HPS stands for "high point shoulder," or the highest point of the shoulder, and CB stands for "center back.") 

 

To get a sense of whether a particular size (from XXS to 3X in this top) will fit you, simply take a garment you own that's similar and measure it and compare. My body is not your guide; your own wardrobe is. This is the most reliable way to determine whether the garment will fit, and how, before actually trying it on. It has the added advantage of being available before any reviews are posted, so you don't have to wait to hear from other buyers to snag a great deal.