Honored Contributor

Re: When others are nasty, do you shake it off easily?

I don't dwell on it ,nor do I let these type of people have a place in my head. I pray for them, and move on.

When people tell you who they are, believe them, they are not your friends

Honored Contributor

It is hard to just not let this bother you.  I struggle with people's mean behavior.  It does stay with me longer than it should.  I would like to say that it does not bother me but it does.  I have a hard time with understanding why anyone feels the need to be mean, nasty, cruel, etc. for basically no reason at all.  I feel like I want to confront the person and say --- Why --- Why --- what is your problem with me and why do you feel the need?  But usually, I will just let it go because nothing ever gets resolved any way.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd have to take that person aside and tell them what I heard and get it squared away. That's the only way I'd get over it is to face it head on with the person. Otherwise I'd be dwelling on it, getting irritated and ticked off every time it popped into my head. Some things I simply cannot let go, I have to get to the bottom of it, get it resolved. You know the princess & the pea story right? What they said would be my pea.

Respected Contributor

At one point in my career, I had just finished a special assignment and my promotion to middle level management had been announced.  I was in a conference room and it’s door and the one next to me was also open.

I overheard a group of guys with whom both my DH and I had worked with: “ Yeah, we know how she got the big promotion “ followed by nasty comments and snickers.

Well, I got up, stood in their doorway, thanked them for their comments, and said that I am sure DH will love to hear their comments tonight.  BTW guys, the reason I got the promotion is because I am successful at meeting challenges with a reputation for honesty !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

To describe myself succinctly:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I struggle with forgiveness. It will forever remain one of my intentions. I do feel I have made strides in forgiveness, while at the same time I refuse to give oxygen to someone who has harmed me. I can be a real Ice Queen when it comes to walking away from what I consider to be a toxic relationship.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I do not. If its someone rude that I don't know well, I can shake it off pretty easily.

But when it is someone I have done stuff for, I don't get over it easily. They may think I do, but there are certain folks who I don't go out of my way for anymore.

Respected Contributor

Toward the end of my corporate career, I was leaving to start my own consulting practice.  I was taken to lunch by someone who had worked for me and for whom I had mentored.  I knew of her subsequent backstabbing.

Before we ordered, I told her that I knew what all had transpired; that I understood her fierce desire to be promoted; but more importantly, that I forgave her and wished her success.

Years later I happened to be consulting on site and saw her at lunch in the cafeteria.  She came over, hugged me, and said thank you for everything.  We met in her office later that day and I saw the kinds of things she was responsible for.

I was never so glad that I had left that company and was doing things that I enjoyed at my own pace and picking !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

It is hard to ignore at times. I will leave it at that.

Honored Contributor

I would tell her privately that what she did was not very productive to making her seen as a good employee and leave it at that!!  That usually makes someone aware that others are on to them and their nastiness!!

Honored Contributor

I think remarks not flattering are hurtful no matter how tough you are. Especially when said behind your back.... to your face is bad enough....