Esteemed Contributor

Re: When it comes to royal families.......

@Tinkrbl44;

The answer to your question(s) have already been answered,

The y would know by how many visitors enter the country, where, when and how they spend their money.  Ticket sales, crowd numbers outside palaces/castles,  tours, museums, souvenirs bought, etc.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it was rude and argumentative.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 - Well I lived in England for 20 years, am married to a Brit and have British friends and family.  I have more than a "few days in London" of experience.

Every year London is packed with tourists surrounding Buckingham Palace hoping for a glimpse of any member of the Royal Family.

There are also thousands (hundreds of thousands) of British citizens who line every street and pack the Mall, turn out whenever and wherever there is a royal event.  They are very proud of their Royal Family.

So I really don't know where you get your "facts" or your opinion from.  Certainly a "few days in London" wouldn't have given you a true picture.

At any rate, this is derailing the thread from the original Swedish Royal Family, so I'll just state my own opinion and leave it at that:  in my opinion, you're completely wrong and misinformed.

(ETA:  And I don't know which castles and estates you think tourists would visit, if the Royal Family didn't exist.  In my time there almost every castle and estate was open to the public at some point, even Buckingham Palace.  The exception being, when the Queen is in residence.

Oh yeah........and did I mention that my husband and I were invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace?  With the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Andrew and several other "royals" in attendance?  And we're nobodies!)

Respected Contributor

Slight change of subject, but I have a question. Why do wealthy people seem to get so much enjoyment out of flaunting their wealth? Designer this, designer that. Who are they trying to impress? They sure are not impressing me! I make money every week recycling. I shop at the 99 Cent store and Dollar Tree. I own one purse and only a few pair of shoes. I can't even remember the last time I flew on a plane. Do "royals" shop at 99 Cent stores? I doubt it.

Before I get accused of being "jealous", no I am not. I just don't think some people truly appreciate how good they have it. Just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Slight change of subject, but I have a question. Why do wealthy people seem to get so much enjoyment out of flaunting their wealth? Designer this, designer that. Who are they trying to impress? They sure are not impressing me! I make money every week recycling. I shop at the 99 Cent store and Dollar Tree. I own one purse and only a few pair of shoes. I can't even remember the last time I flew on a plane. Do "royals" shop at 99 Cent stores? I doubt it.

Before I get accused of being "jealous", no I am not. I just don't think some people truly appreciate how good they have it. Just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.

@catwhisperer

Let''s reverse the question, why do some people like to tell others how thrifty they are?  Owning one car, purse, etc.  Shopping at the dollar stores, wearing inexpensive items..who are they trying to impress?  Why are they touting their thriftiness?  Is it an attempt to feel better about themselves or put down others by how much they spend?

I'm not interested in where the Royals shop unless it's an item I may be interested in buying myself.  For instance, the shoes Duchess Katherine wore on the day of her daughter's christening. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Funny thing @Tinkrbl44, when I've gone to London, I DID go because of the Royal family - all of them, past and present. 

The various Castles, Palace's, Tower of London, various Gardens , etc are a part pf the Royal family lineage. 

Okay, fine.   You did, and I didn't.    Common sense will tell you that not 100% of everyone who goes to England does it because of the royals. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

No one said one hundred percent go for the royals.  Some of us prefer facts, and it was you and I who have done this before.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@muttmom ... I'm sorry your beautiful story is being derailed, but that is what happens in CommunityChat/Viewpoints.  At least we got to see the beauty before the ugly wandered in. Smiley Happy

yep

Honored Contributor

I will never understand why some people argue points that NO ONE ELSE HAS CLAIMED.  Such as arguing 100 percent of tourists do not go to the UK for the royals.  

I have to wonder where the heck that comes from.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catwhisperer

Let''s reverse the question, why do some people like to tell others how thrifty they are?  Owning one car, purse, etc.  Shopping at the dollar stores, wearing inexpensive items..who are they trying to impress?  Why are they touting their thriftiness?  Is it an attempt to feel better about themselves or put down others by how much they spend?

I'm not interested in where the Royals shop unless it's an item I may be interested in buying myself.  For instance, the shoes Duchess Katherine wore on the day of her daughter's christening. 

Good grief, just expressing my opinion. Okay yes, I'm "touting my thriftiness, trying to feel better about myself, and putting others down".LOL  Have a good evening.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer

Have a good evening yourself ans thanks for speaking the truth.Woman Happy