Honored Contributor

Re: When it comes to royal families.......

ps Oh, and since you mentioned being in London, I've been there also and spent a couple of weeks with an English family.  I do not support your take on it.

I have also spent time in Wales, your comments are exaggerations of a time gone by.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@muttmom ... I'm sorry your beautiful story is being derailed, but that is what happens in CommunityChat/Viewpoints.  At least we got to see the beauty before the ugly wandered in. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Of course England makes scads of money on the Royal Family, that should come as no surprise and I'm surprised anyone would be agast at it.  The Royal Family (of England) is a big business and they admit it themselves.  My relatives on my Mother's side are actually from England, my Mother included.  Regardless what anyone thinks of "The Firm" being a business (what they themselves refer to themselves as...).... the people (for the most part) love them, right, wrong or indifferent..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark Photograph

Honored Contributor

The Royal Family of Sweden, celebrating their national heritage

Honored Contributor

They're a lovely family, @muttmom

I enjoy almost all royal families, so thank you for sharing the pictures.

I think royals add a romantic and elevated aspect to life that brings many people joy.  We all need a little romance. 

Just fyi for anyone interested: the following is the definition I'm using for "romance."  The word is not limited to love relationships, as I'm sure most of you already know.

Romance = a quality or feeling of mystery, excitement, and remoteness from everyday life

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't understand the fascination some Americans have with royal families from other countries. They have nothing to do with us, they don't even rule these countries anymore, but are just a figurehead , like the British royals. 

ITA ....  the British royals are merely wealthy parasites .....  they did nothing to earn their position or wealth.   What is even more sad is that they are self-appointed "aristocrats"  who keep an antiquated class system in place .... and make the taxpayers pay for it!

These glorified ribbon cutters could be abolished tomorrow and the country would be better off without them.   

Not into politics, but the Michelle can spend tens of millions going on unnecessary trips etc. (38 so far)....with 2 years left.  

I have no idea what you think qualifies as an "unnecessary trip", but there is an allotted budget, and all expenses are subject to scrutiny.    

Do you have any specifics you can give us?

Do you have "any specifics" you can give us about your claims concerning the British Royal Family?

See post #76.    

As I previously stated .....  just how can anyone possibly confirm how much royals supposedly help tourism if there is nothing to compare it to?  

Any numbers provided are simply estimates, nothing more.

No, they are not.  They are directly taken from studies by economic groups.

I understand you don't want to believe them, but you have NO evidence to the contrary. 

Respected Contributor

@muttmom Hi,I love photos like these.

I haven't been to it in a while but there is a Royal Forum that posts about Royalty from around the world.

I have enjoyed viewing Royals from around the world as a hobby for many years.

I enjoy it for fun my mom got me interested in it.

It is just something fun for me and people tell me I shouldn't like it but I can like what I want.Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I can see that you take those numbers as "gospel".    And what do you expect the Brit tourism agency to say? .....  that the royals mean nothing?   I doubt that would ever happen.

The problem here is, magazines and agencies can print any estimated figure they like regarding what the royals supposedly attract in "tourism revenue" ..... but there's no way to substantiate it because it's not compared to anything.     

If there was a time when there wasn't a monarchy, then the tourism numbers could be compared in those years to tourism when there is a monarchy .... but that's an impossible comparison.

I spent a few days in London and I was there for the architecture ... they royals had no bearing whatsoever.     Of all the people who could be considered "tourists",  just how many of them would you guess expect to be invited to lunch or meet with the royals?    The royals don't care about tourists.   Most people I know who've been to London didn't go because of the royal family .... but Brits want you to believe that it's true.   

Actually, I think it's possible England's tourism would go UP if the monarchy was abolished and people had more access to the castles and estates ..... and could see the excess and wasted taxpayer dollars first hand.   JMO

I take statistics seriously, and there are numerous statistical studies showing the facts I posted.

You have nothing in the way of evidence.  You and I have gone 'round on this before, and I gave you facts then.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your anger comes from your mother's experiences or memories as a child, no?    Time for us to move on, the Welsh were also mistreated, that was 50 to 100 years ago, it's not the same now.  That was then, this is now.

No, you are wrong .... my mother has nothing to do with this.  I have no idea what you're talking about ... and I'm not angry.   You must have "gone round" with someone else.

Sorry, but  I have a very valid point ..... how could anyone "prove" that the royals actually help tourism if there's nothing to compare it to?    Do they ask every single tourist who enters England if they like the royals?    Do they assume a percentage do (say, 75%) and go with that?  

It's a fair question.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Funny thing @Tinkrbl44, when I've gone to London, I DID go because of the Royal family - all of them, past and present. 

The various Castles, Palace's, Tower of London, various Gardens , etc are a part pf the Royal family lineage. 

Okay, fine.   You did, and I didn't.    Common sense will tell you that not 100% of everyone who goes to England does it because of the royals.