Respected Contributor

Re: When it comes to royal families.......

@occasionalrain wrote:

I would never, ever allow what others may post to prevent me from starting or posting on a thread. A coward dies a thousand deaths.

Well, I guess I am a coward then. I have not always been the kindest poster, and for that I am truly sorry. I am trying to be kinder in my comments these days. I have started threads in the past only to quickly be chastised, so prefer to stay in the background.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I so enjoyed seeing these pictures.  I doubt there is a drop of Swedish blood in our family but I've been fascinated with Sweden since we hosted an AFS exchange from Sweden one summer when I was in high school.

I remember the recent wedding pictures and as I recall Princess Madeleine gave birth within days of her brother's wedding.

Our oldest granddaughter shares a first name with the princess.Heart

I think this is a beautiful family.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I agree, @catwhisperer

I often think of posting a topic and then think of the rain of small critiques that will inevitably ensue.  And I refrain.

@Burnsite

I makes me imagine being nibbled to death by a *heard* of geese.

**Yes, I know it's called a flock, but well....

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My husband is a Swede, and was delighted to see these photos.  I agree with you (OP) that they are indeed a beautiful family and that Princess Madeleine is gorgeous.  Why would anyone want to deny that.

A bit holier than thou to make it sound as if a child's beauty is to be judged only by what they become as adults.  All babies and children are beautiful, and I feel certain that  God in his wisdom, and their Creator,  would agree.  They are not only beautiful, but pure and perfect in every way.

Have we become such a sad people that we can't see and acknowledge this?

Trusted Contributor

muttmom--I wish you had left the "second to none" part in, but I understand. To me royalty is something to be respected as a very special historically significant part of many cultures of the world. I have always admired the pageantry and beauty of all things royal.

I once had the experience of visiting the Catherine the Great exhibit on loan from Russia many years ago in an L.A. museum. It was breathtaking and I will never forget it.

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

My husband is a Swede, and was delighted to see these photos.  I agree with you (OP) that they are indeed a beautiful family and that Princess Madeleine is gorgeous.  Why would anyone want to deny that.

A bit holier than thou to make it sound as if a child's beauty is to be judged only by what they become as adults.  All babies and children are beautiful, and I feel certain that  God in his wisdom, and their Creator,  would agree.  They are not only beautiful, but pure and perfect in every way.

Have we become such a sad people that we can't see and acknowledge this?

@Perkup...there are a whole  lot of "holier than thou" people on these forums if you have not already noticed.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

IMO babies are in a special class.

If one doesn't have anything nice to say about them, say nothing,

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

I don't get it either.  How are they "second to none"?  They're probably a nice family, but from the one photo of the little girl, I wouldn't describe her as "beautiful".

And anyway, what does "beautiful" have to do with anything?  I hope she and they will be judged more on their character than their outward appearances.  JMHO.

Sorry if you found my OP offensive.  It was supposed to be a pleasant thread.  I guess I missed the mark.  I edited my OP.

We have another thread where a brand new QVC baby was referred to as beautiful.  I'm sure he and the little princess I referred to as beautiful will be judged more on their character than their outward appearance.

@muttmom - I didn't find anything in your original post offensive.  I was just curious (as was another poster) about the "second to none" remark; wondering in what context you meant it.

As to several other posts on this thread (which I'm sure were directed in part at me), I am neither grumpy about the topic nor critiquing your comments.  Simply stating an opinion.  I realize (now) how you meant the comment about the little girl being beautiful, but I'm afraid I'm sensitive to how our culture puts too much emphasis on physical beauty and perfection in women.  However, since this little princess will never read these comments, I'm sure it won't affect her future self-esteem.

Truly sorry if my own comments were offensive to you.  Have a nice day!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting the pics! I am fascinated by royalty - probably since I first read about the British royal family when I was a teenager! Smiley LOL

I always thought it was cute how Princess Madeleine's parents met. King Carl Gustav met the commoner Silvia, from Germany, at the summer Olympic games. She was a host and guide. Talk about a real life fairy tale!

Also, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Madeleine's newlywed brother is in the first picture, walking behind them.

Princess Madeleine met her husband Chris O'Neill in NYC. He was a banker who went to school here, but has a British-American background. His mom once dated Prince Charles! They certainly make a good looking couple - and family!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@Burnsite@, @catwhisperer,  @MarielG, @NoelSeven@Preds

Thank you for your kind words.Heart

You're not alone, muttmom  Smiley Happy   You post something nice, uplifting, and there are always those who will be grumpy about it.

You had a very nice intent and the pix are pretty and interesting.  I love seeing photos of the royal families.  Actually, I never knew there were so many royal families until I started looking for them. 

It's an interesting subject for many of us, especially the photos.  I always enjoy seeing the fashions from another country, so thanks Smiley Happy

There are MANY who couldn't care less about royal families. That doesn't make them "grumpy". It's called having their own OPINION.