Honored Contributor

Re: When is it going to show up at the grocery store?

On 9/12/2014 glb613 said:
On 9/11/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/11/2014 sidsmom said:

Unfortunately, husbandry is an extremely expensive profession...and you will be charged handsomely for the end product.

Animals aren't cheap to raise, slaughter & manufacture. Takes a lot of feed AND water in these drought-stricken areas. Also price of fuel. Feed is a small factor in the big picture.

There isn't a drought in the entire country. Just one area.

A few days ago i was getting chastised for washing the car - we have more water here than we can ever use. It rains almost every day. It rained all last night and all day today.

It's still a waste of water and very selfish on your part. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I believe it's a waste to eat meat.

Cattle consume a huge amount of water. We don't need to consume animal products. Eat the rice/wheat/corn directly instead of eating the cow that ate the rice/wheat/corn. One of the largest users of fresh water is the livestock industry.

If you want to conserve water, eliminate the consumption of animal products.

Respected Contributor

Someone dropped me off some homegrown tomato's the other day, wow they were good. I don't understand why grocery stores can't stock them, they say they are HG but they are awful. The Midwest weather has been great this summer.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, husbandry is an extremely expensive profession...and you will be charged handsomely for the end product.

Animals aren't cheap to raise, slaughter & manufacture. Takes a lot of feed AND water in these drought-stricken areas. Also price of fuel. Feed is a small factor in the big picture.

A few days ago i was getting chastised for washing the car - we have more water here than we can ever use. It rains almost every day. It rained all last night and all day today.

It's still a waste of water and very selfish on your part. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Please explain to me why we should not - water is very plentiful here and actually since my DH washes the cars with just vinegar water instead of detergent - the water goes into the ground and back into the water table without affecting anything adversely at all. Just because california has a drought does not mean the rest of the country is low on water and has to conserve it. Is our not washing our cars going to somehow magically get that water to california - NO.

Super Contributor

Exactly. It's a car for heaven's sake - washing it every day shows an attachment to a material item without a thought as to what happens when the water stops flowing.

HH is one of thousands in this country who do not understand the ramifications of using precious resources in abundance on foolish things; we do NOT have endless supplies.

Drought in "one area" affects everyone. Drought in "one area" today is drought in another "area" tomorrow.

HH yammers about a neighbor buying a new refrigerator, but thinks nothing about washing a car everyday. I don't care how much rain FL is getting right now; it's not going to last forever.

Conservation is laughed at; wait until she has no water to drink, never mind wash the car which seems to have more importance than any ecological issue.

Honored Contributor

Great post Cakers.

Everyone should ALWAYS conserve water. What might plentiful today, might not be so plentiful tomorrow.

We were in severe drought for several years in N. Georgia. The city of Athens (where the Univ. of Georgia is located) was, at one point I believe, of being within 30 days of totally running out of water. It was terrifyingly dry.

We watched our water usage for everything....everything. Restaurants stopped automatically giving you water with your order, we had severe water restrictions. Each day on the news, they'd show Lake Lanier (water source for Atlanta and many other areas) and tell us how much it had dropped that day. It really was terrifying.

The drought finally broke and they've stopped with the restrictions, but we should always be aware that we can be hit with drought at any time. It makes me happy now when they report that Lake Lanier is at full pool. We're getting rain AND watching water usage and storing those resources for use later.

No one "has more water than they know what to do with".

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 gidgetgoeshawaiian said:

Great post Cakers.

Everyone should ALWAYS conserve water. What might plentiful today, might not be so plentiful tomorrow.

We were in severe drought for several years in N. Georgia. The city of Athens (where the Univ. of Georgia is located) was, at one point I believe, of being within 30 days of totally running out of water. It was terrifyingly dry.

We watched our water usage for everything....everything. Restaurants stopped automatically giving you water with your order, we had severe water restrictions. Each day on the news, they'd show Lake Lanier (water source for Atlanta and many other areas) and tell us how much it had dropped that day. It really was terrifying.

The drought finally broke and they've stopped with the restrictions, but we should always be aware that we can be hit with drought at any time. It makes me happy now when they report that Lake Lanier is at full pool. We're getting rain AND watching water usage and storing those resources for use later.

How is it wasting when it goes right on the ground and back into the water table? The only water wasted is the very small amount on the towel.

As for the highlighted statement - some people are ion flooded areas.That would absolutely qualify as more water than we know what to do with.

Just like so many other things on this BB - everything is radical fanaticism. Really, people!

Honored Contributor

You're correct, on the flooding, HH. I stand corrected on that.

What I meant, and didn't explain well, was that in the normal, day to day, apart from extreme situations like flooding, I've never really heard of any municipality urging their citizens to go out and use a lot of water because they have too much. I may be wrong on that also, it's been that kind of day for me so far, but I don't think I've ever heard that.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 happy housewife said:

Great post Cakers.

How is it wasting when it goes right on the ground and back into the water table? The only water wasted is the very small amount on the towel.

As for the highlighted statement - some people are ion flooded areas.That would absolutely qualify as more water than we know what to do with.

Just like so many other things on this BB - everything is radical fanaticism. Really, people!

Well then, HH feel free to call me a radical fanatic; heck, I don't even mind the "tree hugging hippie" label.

You clearly think water just runs back into the ground and recycles back up so you can wash your car.

You need to read up on the Floridian aquifer and also the infusion of salt water into your water table. The Floridian aquifer is not filled with fresh clean water.

And the 300% growth of population in SW Florida - do you really believe that water resources are not strained by that? And that includes you parking yourself and your hubby down there, so think twice before you call others fanatics.

You have yammered about people "wasting their money" on things you judge as not needed, but have blinders one when it come to our water resources as you merrily wash your car thinking it all goes back into the ground and therefore it's not a problem.

People like you not only scare me but hawk me off as well.

Honored Contributor

n/m. I guess this thread is about something else. my boo boo

Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Cakers1 said:
On 9/12/2014 happy housewife said:

Great post Cakers.

Well then, HH feel free to call me a radical fanatic; heck, I don't even mind the "tree hugging hippie" label.

You clearly think water just runs back into the ground and recycles back up so you can wash your car.

You need to read up on the Floridian aquifer and also the infusion of salt water into your water table. The Floridian aquifer is not filled with fresh clean water.

And the 300% growth of population in SW Florida - do you really believe that water resources are not strained by that? And that includes you parking yourself and your hubby down there, so think twice before you call others fanatics.

You have yammered about people "wasting their money" on things you judge as not needed, but have blinders one when it come to our water resources as you merrily wash your car thinking it all goes back into the ground and therefore it's not a problem.

People like you not only scare me but hawk me off as well.

And what do you think happens to water that goes onto the ground ? Where do you think it goes after it soaks into the grass? What do you think happens to rain after it soaks into the ground?