Honored Contributor

@Caligurll  That sounds about right! You were very lucky!!! But yeah, we thought we were anythig real that we imagined didn't we. Nothing could stop us and not super powers, just faster than a speeding bullet maybe!! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Caligurll  That sounds about right! You were very lucky!!! But yeah, we thought we were anythig real that we imagined didn't we. Nothing could stop us and not super powers, just faster than a speeding bullet maybe!! LOL

@qualitygal Yes!  We really used our imaginations to have fun. I still like those fast thrills, but now I try to do it in a safer way.  I love to zip line, roller blade, ride roller coasters etc.  I'm still looking for that thrill, and I hope that never goes away.

Respected Contributor

I remember my first trip to Hawaii in the 1950s. We used a product called skol. It came in a glass bottle with a plaid label if memory serves me. I had my first very bad burn there. I have had several since, and am now supporting my dermatologist and all of his family.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

We did the baby oil and iodine when I was a teen.  My best friend took an empty bottle of a pump type hairspray and put some in that to spray instead of pouring out of the baby oil bottle.  Good ideal until her Mom came in her bedroom early one morning while she was sleeping to borrow my friend's "hairspray" since she herself was out.

A couple hours later her Mom was demanding to know what was in there since she looked like she had not washed her hair in a month.  We all laughed so hard and all told our own Moms.   Can be dangerous to go into your teenage daughter's room.

Never did use sunscreen till I bought it for my son in the 80's.

We did baby oil and iodine, too, in the '60, and  I am fair and just don't tan, so in retrospect it was a bad thing to do. I would simply burn enough to look sort of tanned. I hate to think of the damage I did. My mother  would lie in the sun every day in the summer and worked hard to get tan, and beginning in her 80s, she has been treated for one skin cancer after another. I have already had two removed from my hands myself. If only we had known....

Blessings to you I know that must be hard from the effects of time long past.  I have been very blessed to have no problems for the decades I spent in the sun.  I could lay out one day and look like I had been there for weeks.  My Grandmother was half Cherokee so I have always wondered if my Mom and tanned well due to the genetics.  I do not even put on a or even own a bathing suit anymore. 

I pray you have no more problems.

Thank you! Say, in doing genealogy work, I was surprised to learn that my-- I forget without looking it up-- 3 or 4 times great-grandmother, I think-- was Cherokee from back in North Carolina. Thrilled to think of that! 

Respected Contributor

Funny this thread came up. Came from the derm, his area is skin cancer.

Today wasnt too bad, only 2 spots to be removed.

I religiously go every 6 months for a skin check. You could play connect the dots on my body.

Respected Contributor

Hot summer days we'd drink out of the garden hose after squirting each other w/it.

Honored Contributor

I find it disturbing to see stores clear their shelves of sunscreen products when summer ends. I wear it all year long, cloudy days or not. 

I live closer to the sun than most people do. Colorado is the highest state, elevation wise and sun exposure is intense. Growing up here meant always sheltering yourself from the sun.  If you get a sunburn here, it's serious.

Respected Contributor

2 weeks ago I had a biopsy done on my nose. I had a red spot for years that didn't go away and then it started to bleed. I waited way to long and it came back as skin cancer.

Tomorrow I have to have Mohs surgery done at Stanford. Most likely they will have to do a skin graph and take skin from my forehead or the back of my ear.

I loved the sun but didn't wear sunscreen until the 90's and yet skin cancer still found me, and now I am paying the price for that golden glow of looking tanned.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

2 weeks ago I had a biopsy done on my nose. I had a red spot for years that didn't go away and then it started to bleed. I waited way to long and it came back as skin cancer.

Tomorrow I have to have Mohs surgery done at Stanford. Most likely they will have to do a skin graph and take skin from my forehead or the back of my ear.

I loved the sun but didn't wear sunscreen until the 90's and yet skin cancer still found me, and now I am paying the price for that golden glow of looking tanned.

I'm sorry to hear that. Will keep good thoughts your way.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow  Good luck with your surgery.

I had a similar type of red spot on my cheek for years.  It was squamous cell cancer and I had Moh's surgery a few months ago.  And I have another smaller spot on the other cheek that I need to get biopsied soon.

I've worn sunscreen and hats for most of my adult life, but never did as a child.  I swam in the summer and skiied in the winter.  The surgeon said this was likely when the damage was done.