Respected Contributor

Re: When does Paying with Change/Pennies become Unacceptable?

@LTT1wrote:

They don’t teach counting change in school anymore.

i’m entirely Serious.

I am 63 years old and was never taught change counting in school. My parents taught me.  Time to stop insisting schools take over educational responsibilities that could easily be left for parents. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I learned to count back change at my first job when I was 16 years old.

Respected Contributor

I can believe that change counting is no longer taught in school. Using the $1.38 number, if I give the cashier a one dollar bill, 4 dimes and three pennies, they look at me like I have 3 heads. I've needed to tell them how much change I get back. Sometimes in frustration I just let them keep the extra pennies.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

Banks will not accept change anymore without it being rolled because they don't want to be there until 2am counting your money. 

I agree with the comments about manners not being around much anymore.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.    

@Laura14  My Capital One bank has a self service change machine in the lobby.  You put your change in and get a receipt for the amount.  Then take the receipt to a teller for cash.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

At one point in time ,people used stamps as legal tender. It seems there was a shortage of coins

Honored Contributor

This tread brought up an old  memory.  I was 18 and still a senior in High School.

Back in those days, personal income taxes were levied at age 18 and it didn’t matter if you were a student or even had a job.

Well, i registered to vote when I was 18  and because of it, my community was aware that I was 18 and and I got a tax bill.  It was around  $90 dollars...a lot of money in 1972.

I was not a happy camper, so I wrapped my change and took it  to the bank and exchanged it for wrapped pennies.  I took all those pennies home and unwrapped and counted them and put put them in large coffee can.

i Carried that heavy can into the tax office to pay my bill.  The lady informed me that she could not take loose pennies and she asked me to take them to the bank and get paper bills.

i refused and she would not give me a receipt for my cash payment.  I told her that I trusted her to post the money to my account and didn’t need a receipt.

Well, this lady called my father to complain.  Apparently, he thought it was funny because he was laughing when he confronted me about my tax payment adventure.

it was my way of protesting.  Now, taxes are not levied against people who have no or a low income.  I didn’t think it was right to tax unemployed high school students, but I did the honest thing and paid my bill.

Trusted Contributor

Apparently, there is a company (maybe more than one) who supplies the copper for pennies. Of course they don't want penny circulation to end. I like copper in my skincare. Maybe they could go into that industry. Lol
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

A few years ago - I would use cash for amaller amounts and a credit card for larger amounts (over $20). Many stores would require a $10 or $15 minimum on credit cards. One day, I was staning on line at Chipotle for lunch. Person after person which for the most part younger than me just swiped thier card (debit or cc)  and i was the only one counting out cash. Hmmm - from that moment on, I always use my cc.

It doesn't matter if the amount is $2, I swipe and go. I only now use cash for mom and pop stores that still have a minimum. A lot of eateries have have a swipe maching located front and center and I reallly don't know if they even take cash. A receipt come to my email automatically. 

Cash is so filthy and when I feel my wallet getting a little heavy. I go to Petco and dump my change for the stray cats.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

@LTT1wrote:

They don’t teach counting change in school anymore.

i’m entirely Serious.

@LTT1

DH picked up BBQ one night & the cashier had already entered $30 cash while DH was digging for change. After he got out the change she said now I don't know how much to give back to you. Seriously??? DH told her how much he was due while she laughed & said good thing someone around here knows how to count.

I would be embarrassed.

LOL!  That is SO common anymore.  Yes, I'd be embarrassed too......  DH will give the clerk a bill and the nearest oddment change that would enable the clerk to give DH a quarter back, even change, etc.  I can't tell you how many clerks look at him with crossed eyes and he usually has to tell them what the change is.....we are systematically losing very important skills.  Even tho I understand (from what they tell us) why certain things are not being taught, it's not to our advantage as human beings to lose them.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*