Honored Contributor

Re: When does Paying with Change/Pennies become Unacceptable?

DH believes that one day soon  places will not take cash.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@chickenbuttwrote:

@beckyb1012wrote:

When my 35 year old son was in 1st grade his elementary had a "Penny's by the Pound" contest for raising money for new playground equipment.  For one month all classes collected pennies but the last couple of days any type of change could be brought in.  When the coins went to our local bank for counting (in tubs) the school had earned just over $3,600.00 due to all families having loose change at home.  The next couple of years we did not make as much and soon dropped that contest but boy was it exciting that first time.  My son's class did collect the most and won the Pizza Party and the playground looked great.

Did they pay for the pizza in pennies?  j/k  Smiley Very Happy

That is too funny I am laughing so hard @chickenbutt.  No but it was my job as class Mom to go pick them up at 10:30 that morning and I had nine of them.  Driving to the school about killed me I was so hungry.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Kramer wasn't allowed to buy his calzone with change either. 

Esteemed Contributor

Our CU has a machine that counts change for you, for a percentage of it!  Convenience is the name of the game!

Trusted Contributor

Another problem with change is when you end up with a Canadian coin! Not fun when you have the exact amount and want to buy a treat at the vending machine. Or so you thought.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

I love those machines that count your change. They are fun!

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

Even in our small town, our bank has a coin machine. No rolling any more.

As far as paying with change, I carry a certain amount of change. I would rather have my dollar bill than more change. But I wouldn't pay all the change in pennies.

Honored Contributor

I've seen those machines in a lot of places over the years.

I don't know if this is universal, but the ones I've seen actually take a percentage so you don't get ALL your coin back in the exchange.   I guess they have to make money, too, so it makes sense. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry to say I used to drive the lunch lady crazy at school when I'd clear out my dad's change box to buy treats at lunchtime. 😔 she eventually told me to use dollar bills!

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012wrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

@beckyb1012wrote:

When my 35 year old son was in 1st grade his elementary had a "Penny's by the Pound" contest for raising money for new playground equipment.  For one month all classes collected pennies but the last couple of days any type of change could be brought in.  When the coins went to our local bank for counting (in tubs) the school had earned just over $3,600.00 due to all families having loose change at home.  The next couple of years we did not make as much and soon dropped that contest but boy was it exciting that first time.  My son's class did collect the most and won the Pizza Party and the playground looked great.

Did they pay for the pizza in pennies?  j/k  Smiley Very Happy

That is too funny I am laughing so hard @chickenbutt.  No but it was my job as class Mom to go pick them up at 10:30 that morning and I had nine of them.  Driving to the school about killed me I was so hungry.

@beckyb1012

If I had been the pick up person of those pizzas, they would've been a couple of slices short, LOL!

You know.....I took a corner too sharp, so a couple of slices stuck to the top of the box and rather than waste them, I HAD to eat them!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.