Honored Contributor

Re: When do you usually go grocery shopping?

Now that I'm retired it's pretty much any time. I have found, though, that my local chain grocery always seems to be stocking from noon-2 pm and I get tired of the stockers being everywhere I need to go. 

When I was working I detested going after work, even though I was off earlier than many - it was still torture. I liked to go Sunday after lunch, when I was relaxed. Not many people grocery shopping then in the city, aisles and check-outs less crowded, peoole in better moods generally.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

No set day or time for me.

I live by a safe(!), clean(!) Walmart and I've shopped there MANY times after 10pm. I pick up what I can there. It's not a Supercenter but it's a sizeable store. No crowds or shrieking children. The downside is there are fewer cashiers later at night.

I refuse to go to Shop Rite or any other 'mainstream' grocery store on Saturdays or Sundays. They have more cashiers working but the parking lots are loaded and insane. And there's just way too many people in the store for my liking, LOL.

Costco by me is an absolute nut house on the weekends, so that's a weekday only thing, too.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964, I love that little face on your Avatar.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde, Maybe cities are different, but in my Chicago neighborhood the grocery store is very crowded on Sunday from late afternoon through the evening with 20-somethings.  Perhaps many of the young working Friday/Saturday partiers discover that they have no food for themselves-- or their pets-- for the following week and it becomes a must go now thing. 

Respected Contributor

I work full time during the week so I grocery shop on Saturday morning. I try to get there before 9:00 a.m. so it's not too crowded.

Honored Contributor

For now I shop in the mornings but after new years when the "season" is in full swing I will go to shopping in the evenings to avoid the crowds.Our stores are not open late at night.

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Moonchilde, Maybe cities are different, but in my Chicago neighborhood the grocery store is very crowded on Sunday from late afternoon through the evening with 20-somethings.  Perhaps many of the young working Friday/Saturday partiers discover that they have no food for themselves-- or their pets-- for the following week and it becomes a must go now thing. 

@Trix I went about 1-2 pm.  I would never shop Sunday evening. I was mostly home by 5 pm, usually before.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all