Trusted Contributor

Re: When do you know it's time to leave?

@JustJazzmom wrote:

When they start dragging out the photos of their latest vacation, then it's time to go! 

Or when somebody starts the ailment chat.

LOL

dee

Trusted Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

When my husband's brother starts talking politics, I head for the car. 

oooooh, some of our best "discussions" are about politics!

dee

Honored Contributor

In semi retirement, I have been in retail so sometimes we leave a little early because I have to work or we and/or our hosts have church.  Sometimes I have to remind DH on the way to the event "we will need to leave" because he won't take the hint when "the group" who camps, caves, and (boys) ride get together!

Personally, I like to leave about twenty minutes after dessert dishes are taken up.

We DO have an issue with my single first cousin.  We're a small family, and the only part of the family that doesn't "have an agenda".  He will stay past me going to bed because I have to work.  I love him dearly, but it's just "hard" sometimes!

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

Unlike the others, I am more curious as to why one would ask this question.  Are you truly looking for an answer so you know when to leave?  Is this a general  survey?

It's just a question. . . I don't think there is any ulterior motive behind it.  Anyway, it has made a fun topic for discussion.  I'm glad it was posted!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Mellie...my first thought was there is no narrative....what is the backstory?  Why are you curious to know?  Personal or business?

The backstory is simply family being together and knowing when to leave.  I'm sure we all have smiliar experiences -- the photo albums, vacations, politics, etc.  

No, it's not a "business" question - what an odd question to ask.

Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@Mellie32 (love the nik btw, is it from GWTW?) :

dee

I don't know what that is.

Respected Contributor

I think it's important to "read" your hosts' body language -- you might be tempted to keep talking and laughing and showing pictures and talking and laughing and telling stories, but pay attention to your host family --- are they participating right along with everyone else or are they tired, quieter than they were at the beginning, etc.  You have to remember that you're at someone else's house as a guest and it's not polite to keep staying and staying simply because you're having a great conversation with people OTHER than the host.  

That being said -- I usually stay an hour or so after the meal is over.  Help prepare and clean up, have some friendly conversation and then leave.  I can't stand parties or events that go on and on and on and on and on.  Exhausting.

Honored Contributor

I wish I still had family left so we could spend hours together.

When our son and grandson come, they stay a week, love itHeart

Our other son, DIL and grandchildren live in Sweden and the rest of my family have passed away.

Feel blessed to have family to be with whether it is a hour or several hours.

Respected Contributor

well susan louise i so agree with you there. there were times when my wife would cook dinner and my mom would cone over but sometimes make faces at what was cooked complain and one time asked my wife if she could not eat something she made so there would be extra to take home. and now we dont extend dinner invites any more.

Honored Contributor

Two minutes before the police arrive?