Honored Contributor

Re: When do you know it's time to leave?

As long as everyone seems to be engaged and enjoying, and the hour isn't too late for the hosts (if you know their bedtime/sleep schedule or that they get up early for work etc.), it's all good.

I know I have had guests that I was enjoying and they choose to leave earlier than I'd like them too. It was one family in particular and they were getting older. I always attributed it to them being very scheduled (up at the same time every day, meals at the same time daily, to bed at the same time, same tv shows etc.).

Honored Contributor

I've noticed that sometimes hosts who don't have to go to work the next day start dinner very, very late and don't mind chatting until all hours of the night.  .......... 'Reminds me' (channeling Higgins on Magnum P.I., lol) of the time one of the neighbors (SAH singleM) invited me to make/bake cookies with her three young children.  So, I went over there at about 7 or 8pm.  Well..........the cookie making/baking didn't start until around 9pm, and decorating until around 10pm...........So, by the time we (the children) were done, it was midnight.  And, yes, I had to work the next day.  Up at around 4am because it was a long commute to the main office.   p.s.  All three kids had colds...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

LOL. When someone says, "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out."

Honored Contributor

If you live near your family, I'm sure your answer is going to be different than mine.  I don't.

My daughter is visiting this weekend and did a lot of work from our home and decided she can stay an extra night and leave early in the morning.  This means so much  to me.  

She's in the shower now, having finished her presentation work.  Look forward to having just a few more hours with her tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Most of our family and friends tend to be "loiterers", as my husband and I are also...

So, we just enjoy the day or night together and there isn't really any particular "timing" as to when one leaves...But, once a departure starts, then others will usually follow shortly thereafter.

There are a few exceptions though...I have a family member who will kind of just start staring off into space....kind of like in a trance....LOL...so you definitely know that it is time to leave...One couple will start fidgeting around and fussing...throwing hints at their guests like..."It's been a busy day." or "Well, it's time to call it a day.", etc., etc.

@Stray...Your story made me laugh...Nothing like someone enjoying their company!...LOL 

@MyShadowLove- I often wondered why she asked us to dinner....I think she had a touch of OCD; she alphabetized her spices! 

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@Mellie32 (love the nik btw, is it from GWTW?) :

dee

I don't know what that is.

@Mellie32

I think "GWTW" = Gone With the Wind. Must've been a character in the movie named 'Mellie'.....I don't remember, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mellie32

I think "GWTW" = Gone With the Wind. Must've been a character in the movie named 'Mellie'.....I don't remember, LOL!

Oh duh!  I thought she was talking about some TV show.  No, not from Gone with the Wind.  

Respected Contributor

When the hosts turn out the lights and go to bed, lol.