Regular Contributor

Re: When did you surprise yourself by doing something amazing?

@RedTop wrote:

Every month I drive 115 miles round trip, at my expense, to the closest donor center in this region, to donate platelets to the American Red Cross.  I have donated 18x, which is a total of 36 units of processed platelets, that have been sent to various hospitals in WV, VA, and PA.  What I'm doing is not amazing, but I have surprised myself with my firm commitment to do this for as long as I am healthy enough to do so.    My next donation is Wednesday, and I always say a prayer for the patients who receive my platelets.  Newborn babies, patients with cancer, as well as trauma and transplant patients need platelet transfusions.   Sometimes patients have to wait days or even weeks for a platelet transfusion, due to the Red Cross not having this blood product readily available.  I retired early due to my husbands poor health, and several days every month are devoted to his medical appts.  However, I find one open day a month on our calendar to make this trip, in an effort to do what I can to help others.

@RedTop

OP here,

For the recipients of your patelets, I give you a wholeheated THANK YOU!  There aren't many people who do what you do and drive the distance you do to boot.

I do wish I could donate platelets, but have a platelets disorder that makes them unsuitable for that kind of donation - funky platelets.  My Dad was one of those 50 gallon blood donors, as he was O neg (as am I).

If any of you are presently in good health and can carve out an hour of your time, please think of donating blood some time during October, in anticipation of the coming season of illness and accidents that come along with bad weather.  Your gift of blood is truly a life saving gift - priceless.

Regular Contributor

OP Here,

When I started this thread, I decided to begin with my experience in figuring out an error in a very complex problem that was way out of my experience zone.  Yes, I was pounding my chest like a gorilla and could have brought forward other experiences, but this one was really so bizarre I thought it worth mentioning.  It certainly wasn't humble.

I am humbled by many of the posts on this thread, some of which brought tears to my eyes and I'm glad you posted your experiences.  It was difficult to guage how many, if any at all, would respond, as many of us grew up being told that humility is one of the ultimate traits we must always strive to attain.

However, I think that, well shoot, it's high time that some of you/us share some really special personal moments and experiences that simply amazed us: Those where we stretched ourselves, out of ourselves, even became a different person because of what we did.

Honored Contributor

These responses are very moving.  I truly admire all of you.

After surgery I had a stroke.  I lost all memory, and my right side had limited movement.  Within approximately 9 months, after much therapy, (physical, occupational and cognitive) I was pretty much back to normal.  I have a wonderful, supportive family and had the most incredible, caring therapists.

Honored Contributor

At the age of 77 and disabled, I planned and have completely handled our family reunion which happens this Saturday, Oct. 10.  It will be held at the apartment complex community hall, catered, 30 family members coming.  The only things my kids will have to do is cleanup, and that is only because I'm physically unable to do so. 

I will probably post afterwards on how successful and fun it was (fingers crossed). 

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of that right now.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

At the age of 77 and disabled, I planned and have completely handled our family reunion which happens this Saturday, Oct. 10.  It will be held at the apartment complex community hall, catered, 30 family members coming.  The only things my kids will have to do is cleanup, and that is only because I'm physically unable to do so. 

I will probably post afterwards on how successful and fun it was (fingers crossed). 

@LilacTree

Family reunions are so special! I'm so glad you did this, for yourself and all those that will attend.

Have a wonderful time and embrace the time you are all together. It will make memories for all there, that they will take with them for the rest of their lives.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

To be totally honest about my birds, I sincerely give credit to God and the small handful of wildlife rehabbers on the internet who posted information about handfeeding sparrows and normal sparrow development.

I have said for a decade now, that DH and I were used as tools by something Greater than us.  DH passed 18 months into my first two sparrows lives.  Subsequent to the sparrows in 2005, the Lord saw fit to drop a 1/2 dead pigeon on my backdoor stoop (no joke).  He was too damaged to every fly again and has lived the life of a king since 2009.  Four years later, my niece's husband nearly ran over a baby sparrow (maybe 4 days old) with the lawnmower.

That one was trickier because I work full time and DH was not here.  Honestly, I asked for inspiration from my deceased Mom, as I think my gift came from her and I prayed alot.  I managed to hand raise Presto (now 2) alone in my car in the parking garage at work. 

I appear to be on a 4 year schedule, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@LilacTree

Family reunions are so special! I'm so glad you did this, for yourself and all those that will attend.

Have a wonderful time and embrace the time you are all together. It will make memories for all there, that they will take with them for the rest of their lives.

Thank you mominohio.  The last time we were together was because of my beloved sister's memorial dinner four years ago.  I wanted to be AT the next family gathering!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Every month I drive 115 miles round trip, at my expense, to the closest donor center in this region, to donate platelets to the American Red Cross.  I have donated 18x, which is a total of 36 units of processed platelets, that have been sent to various hospitals in WV, VA, and PA.  What I'm doing is not amazing, but I have surprised myself with my firm commitment to do this for as long as I am healthy enough to do so.    My next donation is Wednesday, and I always say a prayer for the patients who receive my platelets.  Newborn babies, patients with cancer, as well as trauma and transplant patients need platelet transfusions.   Sometimes patients have to wait days or even weeks for a platelet transfusion, due to the Red Cross not having this blood product readily available.  I retired early due to my husbands poor health, and several days every month are devoted to his medical appts.  However, I find one open day a month on our calendar to make this trip, in an effort to do what I can to help other

OP here,.

If any of you are presently in good health and can carve out an hour of your time, please think of donating blood some time during October, in anticipation of the coming season of illness and accidents that come along with bad weather.  Your gift of blood is truly a life saving gift - priceless.

@sfnative - Since I don't know that much about platelet donation, is that the same as giving blood?  Do they take the platelets out of the blood or is it a different type of donation?  Just curious because I never heard of anyone doing just a platelet donation.

Honored Contributor

I think the most amazing thing I've ever done is give birth. To bring a whole new human being into the world is just mind blowing IMO. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Many of you know I had my leg amputated when I was 16.  It was a difficult adjustment, the first 6 months were hell emotionally and physically.

I graduated with my class, went away to college and met the man I married.  We raised a family but much of it fell on me as my husband worked out of the country.  The children and I stayed in our home during the school year, then joined him during vacations. All the while, I had a successful career outside the home.

I cannot say it was easy.  My health has suffered directly from my initial diagnosis.  You cannot help but favor one side of your body.  The stress on it has affected my knee, hip and back. There are days I'd love to pull the covers over my head but that would be giving in.

We are now retired grandparents and really have a great life.