Respected Contributor

Re: When did you feel really alive?

@Mombo1  Oh, that's a cute story.  I like it.  And here I was thinking a variation of Mambo Italiano.  😁

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

Watching falling stars while camping with my parents and siblings when I was a teen. Holding each of my children for the first time. Receiving a letter of thanks from the father of one of my students crediting me for his son’s love of reading. Touring Italy with my husband and experiencing its long and amazing history. Riding with friends in Benezette, seeing many elk, hearing the bulls bugling and  coming upon a cow with her calf on one of the trails.

Respected Contributor

When I received my B.A. degree and a few years later, my M.A. degree. My life was complicated.

I was a single mom for my M.A. and worked a full time job while going to college. It was difficult, I had made bad decisions,but finally I achieved what I had worked so hard for.

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Swinging so high on a swing on a summer afternoon in my youth. 

Yes! I love to swing as high as I can up in the sky!

"How would you like to go up in a swing?

Up in the sky so blue?

Oh I do thing it the most wondrous thing, ever a child (or any of us!)

could do!"

One of my favorite poems by Robert Louis Stevenson (with a little added onSmiley Happy

Thanks for that reminder @godi ,

of another wonderful thingSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Years ago we took our son to Hawaii (instead of forcing him to have the bar mitzvah he didn't want); the look on his face when he saw the ocean for the first time.

We sailed to an island off Maui, and on the way back, the crew killed the engine and hoisted the sales...you feel at one with nature. And a crowd of flying fish accompanying the boat--and I was astounded to discover they really DO fly!

Trusted Contributor

Truly joyous?  Three years ago - my first Foo Fighters concert.  I was 62-years-old.  How's that for a long wait?  I thought my heart was going to burst, I was so happy - I had only been a fan for a year, but there was something about them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay  Great poem, thank you for sharing. ❤️

Honored Contributor

When I was 18.  I was on my own for the first time.  I decided to defer my college for a year (that I was supposed to start that fall) 

Instead I went to Europe.  I went with a friend of mind up to London.  After that I went to Italy to spend several months with relatives.  First time back after I was a child. Then I went to Paris and Barcelona.  After that I went to Athens, then Israel (to be with relatives I never met in Tel Aviv, and Jerusalem) I was there for 6 months. It was a great experience.  I came back home 10 months after I left. I was in a depression before the trip.  My father had died suddenly and I felt adrift.  The trip changed me.  I flet happy first time in a long, long time.  I entered university at 19, met my future husband there.  I'll never forget 18.

Esteemed Contributor

Just put me in a good seat at a live concert venue.  Perhaps a wonderful Broadway play or even dance.  I feel really alive anytime I'm enjoying the performing arts.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

YES!  I can count them on one hand.  Oh, not that I've never had any fun but I guess you mean that most breath taking few moments that the world disappeared and you were actually on cloud nine.

I was gonna vacation in FL. for the first time.  I was just dying to see the ocean and go swimming.  We were heading to Melbourne beach.  When we got there, I walked on the sand towards the sea....just dropping my shorts, top, sandles and the smell hit me and this panoramic view hit me and I was just THROTTLED and my breath was PULLED out and I just stood there HOLD IT DOWN.....WHAT A JERK I WAS !!!!!  My heart was pounding!  I was afraid someone would notice what I was feeling.   oh boy, what a jerk i was!!!

One more...I have a few but I'll just put this one...was walking past a chain link fence and inches on the other side was a cougar.  NO ONE else was around.  I was heavy in thought and saw movement and just looked and saw him and went GASP!  I stopped and looked around to see if anyone was there...NO ONE...I was afraid to run.  I backed away slowly while he sat with his eyes just locked on me.  He had this look on his face like....why are YOU afraid?  He could not get out but I did not know he was even there.  I backed away quite a large distance but he still sat there staring at me.  Whew!  I don't know if just a chain link fence with no razor ribbon is safe and besides.  The place should not harbor dangerous, wild animals.  No place should.  They belong wild.  What a moment!  I have two others but too long.  GREAT THREAD!