Honored Contributor

Re: When did adding up to phrases become a thing?

@amyb,

Fellow word nerd here and not apologizing for it!😁 

My mother had a huge Random House dictionary prominently displayed on it's own pedestal table in the living room for as long as I can remember.

As far as nother, apparently it is a word according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary and has been used since the 1400's! I've always used it-like-"that's a nother situation," etc. It was only until the 20th century that people started thinking of it as shortening another and thought it wrong.

And "change it up" we've always said like in "you might want to change it up!"

It seems it was originally a baseball term-"changeup,"and in the UK it refers to changing the gears in the car or something like that.

How can we possibly get through a week without these terms that really just say it like it is?

And I have time to discuss😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@frenchie    I don't often have any little kids in my current life. I can imagine them using hoodie if they wear one, but do they really use the others?   Seems to me if they do, they have to be hearing them from people other than shopping channel hosts.  Maybe I need to watch more kids' TV shows?

I should also say I do use hoodie myself -  and that's because I wear them. 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay Interesting~and thanks for that. I always meant to look up if "nother" was actually acceptable now as it's own word, but the 1400's?! Yowza, really?

As for your "that's a nother situation"...see, that's where I always thought it was just the one word, as in "that's another situation" or like I said "a whole other situation."

But I'm willing to be "schooled" today. 😉 

Honored Contributor

Now I'm wondering if these are generational things.

I never heard my mother say "change it up," or "that's a whole nother situation," (ahem @amyb -not a whole another situation 😁).

But like I said, I say them all the time.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I hear you on the adding of "up". I don't understand it,

Another one I just don't use, that is used widely by probably everyone but me, is adding the word "down" when referring to cleaning something.

"I wiped the counter down". "I wiped the car seats down".

I don't understand why the word "down" needs to be included.  I wiped the counters.  I wiped the car seats.  I don't understand what "down" adds.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I say foodie and hoodie

there is no word that describes foodie

it is not a chef or cook specifically

it is someone that enjoys, shares their knowledge or cooks food

hoodie - what would you call it

zippered or non zippered pullover with hood?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something else I hear all the time is "reduce it down". You can't reduce up.

Just say reduce.

Or unexpected surprise. All surprises are unexpected. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hear people say, "if you want to zzuz it up" or to zzuz it up.  How is it spelled and what does it replace on the word list?  style?  pretty?   Ah,,,jazz it up.

Honored Contributor

"Repeat that again." makes me crazy.

Also, "7 a.m. in the morning."  (Duh.)

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I hear you on the adding of "up". I don't understand it,

Another one I just don't use, that is used widely by probably everyone but me, is adding the word "down" when referring to cleaning something.

"I wiped the counter down". "I wiped the car seats down".

I don't understand why the word "down" needs to be included.  I wiped the counters.  I wiped the car seats.  I don't understand what "down" adds.

@gidgetgh  I agree on the "down"! Regarding "up", something I see a lot of here (in reviews, mostly) is "This (clothing item, sheet set, etc.) washed up well."  Maybe it's a regional thing, but I just say "washed well".