Honored Contributor

Re: When considering what to give for a wedding gift . . . .

Until I started reading these boards, I have never heard of considering the cost of a wedding when figuring out how much to give for a gift.  How would I ever know what someone's wedding cost?

I give what we can afford to give and I give according to my relationship to the couple.  If they choose to have their wedding at a country club or a barn doesn't come into my mind at all.  How much they spend is on them.   

Honored Contributor

NO

Honored Contributor

No. I don't consider that at all. Ever.  Never. 

Here's my take on it. They're the ones throwing the party. If they want to bring in mimes and jugglers and fountains and circus animals and a symphony orchestra with a full choir to "entertain" us at the reception, that's their business.  More power to them. 

I'm bringing a gift, within my budget, and it's usually something from their registry. I might be in the minority here, but I think that's what the registry is for. To give us gift ideas. 

I would have no idea what people spend on their weddings and I don't care. It's their party, they pay. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@q-girl wrote:

. . . . do you ever consider the cost of the wedding?  Once, when discussing with a group of folks what a proper wedding gift would be, one of the people said she always makes sure the gift, whether cash or consumer goods, covers the cost of her and her plus one attending the wedding. I have never taken this into consideration. I don't feel the couple who has chosen to spend big bucks on a more lavish celebration deserves a higher monetary value gift then the couple who chooses to celebrate their union with cake and coffe in the backyard.

My husband and I are as generous as we can be when giving wedding gifts, and we do give a little more to very close family and friends. That is what we base the gift on, not how much money the bride and groom spends on the wedding. Thoughts?

Hugs. . .

I go to the Registry and purchase what I can afford.

I try to be generous.

Big wedding or small doesn't matter to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm...I know there is...or was...a group here who did what the OP said...based the gift on the cost of the reception meal(s).  This is where I first heard about the practice.  Surprised none of them have chimed in.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Here's my take on it. They're the ones throwing the party. If they want to bring in mimes and jugglers and fountains and circus animals and a symphony orchestra with a full choir to "entertain" us at the reception, that's their business.  More power to them. 

I'm bringing a gift, within my budget, and it's usually something from their registry. I might be in the minority here, but I think that's what the registry is for. To give us gift ideas. 

I would have no idea what people spend on their weddings and I don't care. It's their party, they pay. 

I do the same.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gidgetgh  -  That's a hilarious discription, love it!!! 

Honored Contributor

At least $50,  It all depends on your financial situation.  Everything is so much higher today.  I personally, am not into the big weddings (a waste of money) but if you have it or your family has it go for it if that is what you want.   Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I don't but many do. I give based on closeness.

@q-girl wrote:

. . . . do you ever consider the cost of the wedding?  Once, when discussing with a group of folks what a proper wedding gift would be, one of the people said she always makes sure the gift, whether cash or consumer goods, covers the cost of her and her plus one attending the wedding. I have never taken this into consideration. I don't feel the couple who has chosen to spend big bucks on a more lavish celebration deserves a higher monetary value gift then the couple who chooses to celebrate their union with cake and coffe in the backyard.

My husband and I are as generous as we can be when giving wedding gifts, and we do give a little more to very close family and friends. That is what we base the gift on, not how much money the bride and groom spends on the wedding. Thoughts?

Hugs. . .

Trusted Contributor

I DO consider the cost of the meal, but obviously don't know how much is spent on the reception.  I keep in mind how much it costs my husband and I to eat out at a fancier restaurant, then go from there.  I gauge whether to give $$ or a registry gift based on the couple.  If they are young, just out of college, etc. I usually give $$ because I feel that they might need it more than stuff.

All that being said, we only go to the weddings of relatives in our smallish family, or the children of close friends.  The other invitations I just RSVP with a no, and do not send a gift.