Respected Contributor

Re: When You Were a Girl Scout...

We just sold cookies, never the nuts.  I didn't even know this was something that the GS did!  

Respected Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

Cookies -----mint still a favorite.

Mint are my favorite too...followed by Samoas.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Nuts?  Never heard of selling nuts, we sold cookies.  I haven't seen a girl scout or her cookies for years. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SMA X 2 wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

@SMA X 2 wrote:

Cookies! But they didn't have all the varieties they have now & they were a lot cheaper!!

I only have boys, but my sons had to sell endless popcorn for cub scouts and it is such a rip off in all honesty. Hardly any popcorn for  $35 + a bag. It was a hard sell. I wish the boys had a cookie business as well!

@SMA X 2 ... $35 a bag for popcorn?! Smiley Frustrated No thanks!

Seriously! A VERY hard sell. You just basically presented it as a donation to scouting and the popcorn became like a give away bonus. A lot of it was "gourmet" with chocolates and different flavors, but honestly, we ended up buying most of it ourselves. Did I mention the minimum expectation was $300 each kid?

Wow...you must have lived in a wealthy area. $300 a child is expecting a bit much IMO.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I remember being in scouts but barely remember the selling of the cookies.  At that age I was too young to go to other houses and being off of the Blue Ridge parkway we were too far out.

@ECBG ... I don't remember if I sold the peanuts in Brownies or Girl Scouts, but it was a much safer world back then. Otherwise, my parents would not have allowed me to go door to door.

Respected Contributor

@jpie and @Kachina 624 ...Yes, nuts were the big thing to sell in our area of the country, but that was back in the 50's.

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I remember being in scouts but barely remember the selling of the cookies.  At that age I was too young to go to other houses and being off of the Blue Ridge parkway we were too far out.

@ECBG ... I don't remember if I sold the peanuts in Brownies or Girl Scouts, but it was a much safer world back then. Otherwise, my parents would not have allowed me to go door to door.

@YardlieWe might be able to see the edge of a driveway, but it was too far, also delivery would have been harder.

Respected Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@River Song ...Cookies at 10 cents a box? Wow! We also sold our peanuts door to door, and we were required to wear our uniforms when we went around selling also. Nowadays, parents would not want their children going door to door. We got to know which people bought our peanuts. I kept a list from year to year so I could hit those houses again.

I remember one cranky older lady who opened the door after I knocked. She looked at me and yelled, "No peanuts, no peanuts!" and slammed the door in my face. I knew not to go their trick or treating either.

@Yardlie, you are just too cute!! I actually laughed out loud reading this and still smiling. Love it!!

Respected Contributor

I sold those cookies when I was a brownie.  They were fifty cents a box.  Today, I purchased 4 boxes (2 thin mints and 2 Tagalongs) for the tune of 16 dollars.  Big ripoff, but the cookies are good.  If they shrink the boxes down anymore and raising the prices, there won't be anymore sales from me.

Respected Contributor

I sold cookies.  Still love the tag a longs!  I have kept my sash with the badges I earned, including the cookie one, thanks to my mom and her office who "gobbled" them up yearly from me!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!