Esteemed Contributor

Re: When You Were a Girl Scout...

Cookies, no nuts. My mom was the "cookie lady" for my troop for many years.The cases of cookies were delivered to our house. She had to sort each girl's order and the scouts came to pick them up.. We went door to door. One girl's dad took her order form to work at the NYSE and "she" always sold over 100 boxes.

Even at $4-$5 for a smaller box, the GS cookies are as popular as ever.

Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I was a Girl Scoit leader for many years.    Our troop sold the nuts in the Fall and the cookies in the Spring.   Cookies are $5 a box now.   

@Bri36 ... Good for you being a Girl Scout leader! I didn't realize that some troops sold cookies back when our troop was selling nuts. Yes, those cookies have gone up...$5 a box??

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

We just sold cookies. There were definitely not as many flavor options, though I can't remember how many there were back then. We went door to door too. 

The girl scouts selling them in front of my grocery store now are asking people if they don't want to purchase any for themselves if they'd like to purchase and donate a box to a sick child. I had never heard that before this year.

Frequent Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@SMA X 2 wrote:

Cookies! But they didn't have all the varieties they have now & they were a lot cheaper!!

I only have boys, but my sons had to sell endless popcorn for cub scouts and it is such a rip off in all honesty. Hardly any popcorn for  $35 + a bag. It was a hard sell. I wish the boys had a cookie business as well!

@SMA X 2 ... $35 a bag for popcorn?! Smiley Frustrated No thanks!

Seriously! A VERY hard sell. You just basically presented it as a donation to scouting and the popcorn became like a give away bonus. A lot of it was "gourmet" with chocolates and different flavors, but honestly, we ended up buying most of it ourselves. Did I mention the minimum expectation was $300 each kid?

Honored Contributor

I don't remember selling cookies when I was a Girl Scout but my daughter sure sold them  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Cookies -----mint still a favorite.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song...Cookies at 10 cents a box? Wow! We also sold our peanuts door to door, and we were required to wear our uniforms when we went around selling also. Nowadays, parents would not want their children going door to door. We got to know which people bought our peanuts. I kept a list from year to year so I could hit those houses again.

I remember one cranky older lady who opened the door after I knocked. She looked at me and yelled, "No peanuts, no peanuts!" and slammed the door in my face. I knew not to go there trick or treating either.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Cookies, no nuts. My mom was the "cookie lady" for my troop for many years.The cases of cookies were delivered to our house. She had to sort each girl's order and the scouts came to pick them up.. We went door to door. One girl's dad took her order form to work at the NYSE and "she" always sold over 100 boxes.

Even at $4-$5 for a smaller box, the GS cookies are as popular as ever.

@queendiva ... That was nice of your Mom. That's a big job. Yes, the cookies are getting pricey now, but I always think that it is for a good cause.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

We just sold cookies. There were definitely not as many flavor options, though I can't remember how many there were back then. We went door to door too. 

The girl scouts selling them in front of my grocery store now are asking people if they don't want to purchase any for themselves if they'd like to purchase and donate a box to a sick child. I had never heard that before this year.

@colliemom4 ... Haven't run into that situation yet. That is really playing on people's sympathies, although it is for a great cause...if the sick child is even allowed to eat cookies.

Honored Contributor

I remember being in scouts but barely remember the selling of the cookies.  At that age I was too young to go to other houses and being off of the Blue Ridge parkway we were too far out.