Honored Contributor

Re: When You Travel By Plane - Do You Bring Your Own Food?

I could be wrong, because I haven't travelled for 8 or 9 years, but I thought it was just that you couldn't have it at the point of the security.  But you could purchase it in the terminal, BEYOND security and then be able to take it on the plane.  I saw that when I was still travelling.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I could be wrong, because I haven't travelled for 8 or 9 years, but I thought it was just that you couldn't have it at the point of the security.  But you could purchase it in the terminal, BEYOND security and then be able to take it on the plane.  I saw that when I was still travelling.

You are correct.  You cannot take a bottle of water through security but once you are in the gate area you may purchase water and take it on the plane.

As for taking meals on the plane, airlines have allowed this for more than a few years.  It's also been a long time since flight attendants were referred to as stewardesses or stewards.

Honored Contributor

You can't go through security with food or water.  But you can buy it once you're past security to take on the plane.  I always have a bottle of water and a coffee for the plane.  LOL

Respected Contributor

That was gross.  I can't tolerate strong food smells in close quarters.  I bring protein bars, pretzels  or crackers  in case I'm feeling peckish. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

You can't go through security with food or water.  But you can buy it once you're past security to take on the plane.  I always have a bottle of water and a coffee for the plane.  LOL

hi @brii

you cannot bring liquids, but you CAN take food through security (as long as it isnt foods like soups.......and once they took my yogurt).

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@brii wrote:

hi @brii

you cannot bring liquids, but you CAN take food through security (as long as it isnt foods like soups.......and once they took my yogurt).

I didn't realize you can bring food through.  Good to know.

Respected Contributor

It wouldn't occur to me to bring food from home, and I wouldn't want to have to carry it anyway, but I sometimes bring a bagel or sandwich on the plane.  As to why people just don't eat ahead of time,  I get a little nervous with an iffy stomach before flying.  I dont want to eat and then have to worry about the bathroom lol. Once I'm all situated on the plane, I am relaxed - and maybe pretty hungry by then.  You never know why others do the things they do!

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@brii wrote:

hi @brii

I didn't realize you can bring food through.  Good to know.

Next time I'm taking a steak dinner.  LOL

Wait.  Better yet, I'm ordering a pizza to be delivered and not sharing with anyone!!!  (Remember that thread?) 

Esteemed Contributor

I always bring a sandwich with me.  Most of the time it is PB&J or ham and cheese.  Since they no longer feed us on planes and I am not interested in paying $8 or $10 for something at the airport, I bring my own. Plus I've been stuck on a plane and hungry so that works for me.  One flight I was in the middle seat between 2 big guys.  This time I had bought a hoagie (no onions, just mustard).  We were stuck waiting to take off.  I told the two men on either side of me that I would share my sandwich IF they didn't put their elbows on me during the flight.  They agreed and we were all happy!

I would never bring something that would permeate the cabin with its smell though, that's just not a thoughtful thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@mima most carriers have stopped serving nuts because of allergies.  I've never seen anything that says passengers can't bring their own on board.