Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

I hate that they allow outside food on planes.  I've been on some flights that the pungent aromas made me sick to my stomach.

I don't think they could do that.  DH is diabetic and sometimes if you are flying, it is hours before you can eat.  The little dab of snacks they serve you isn't always a good choice or you may not like it.

We do take our own food.  However it is not smelly stuff like that.  OP's experience sounds awful. 

We take crackers, nuts, dried beef, etc.  More finger food, not food you eat with silverware.

There would always have to be exceptions to the rule.

LOL, I think one should bring perfume and a cotton swab or something.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: When You Travel By Plane - Do You Bring Your Own Food?

@Posha wrote:

I had the displeasure of being seated next to a man eating out of a Tupperware container that was filled with cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts that were dripping in oil and garlic. If that wasn't bad enough, about 20 minutes later he cracked open another container that held a concoction of smoked salmon, capers and  red onions.He scooped up everything with an Onion Bagel. Of course he made no apologies for the odors and after his belly was full, he decided to nap with his mouth gaping open and whiffs of garlic and other spices permeated the space. When he woke from his nap he decided to watch a movie and then the gas started passing fast and furiously.

True story. The joy of flying coach.Smiley Frustrated

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

That was rude.  I don't think I've ever noticed anybody eating something that they brought from home but I've seen people bring sandwiches on board that were purchased in the airport.  Even then, it is normally a deli turkey & cheese sub or something similar. 

I suppose there are instances where your original flight was delayed, or other circumstances, that made it difficult to make your connection or even your originating flight w/out bringing food on board but if I'm flying, I make every possible attempt to eat beforehand, or at the airport restaurant or gate, etc. before boarding my plane.  Besides, I overpack (that's an understatement) and I certainly don't want to bring extra tupperware containers from home.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The last time my husband flew back from Zurich he said it was disgusting with the smells, the plane was full and the toddler behind him kept kicking the back of his seat..  He said he'd look at the mother but that was worthless so he was more than happy to get off that flight. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

I hate that they allow outside food on planes.  I've been on some flights that the pungent aromas made me sick to my stomach.

I don't think they could do that.  DH is diabetic and sometimes if you are flying, it is hours before you can eat.  The little dab of snacks they serve you isn't always a good choice or you may not like it.

We do take our own food.  However it is not smelly stuff like that.  OP's experience sounds awful. 

We take crackers, nuts, dried beef, etc.  More finger food, not food you eat with silverware.

Do what?  I do not understand what your response has to do with my post.

Honored Contributor

A few years back we flew from Atlanta to San Jose, with a stop in Salt Lake City.  A couple young people brought on board Burger King... the smell stayed in there the entire flight..  I was so hungry for a whopper when we landed.. LOL

Go VOLS
Respected Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@mima wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

Do what?  I do not understand what your response has to do with my post.

You put that you hate that they allow outside food on the plane.  I don't think they could change that policy to not allow outside food on the plane.

I agree I wan't very clear.

Honored Contributor

OMG, I can't believe he chose those foods to eat in close quarters....

And as a diabetic I get shy about breaking out a Glucerna Snack (when my number start falling) in line at the post office .....  Woman Tongue

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

OP, that sounds absolutely terrible! I was on a two-hour flight last year and was seated next to a man who had the WORST body odor ever. I was gagging the entire flight and was covering my mouth and nose with my shirt. I was so relieved to get off that plane!!

Honored Contributor

Omg, I believe every word.   Sadly, now that anyone with a credit card can fly; experiences like that are not uncommon.  The planes are full of low class, uncouth people.  I do bring my own nuts, crackers, candies.  But I would never bring an entire meal.....lol.