Honored Contributor

Re: When You Travel By Plane - Do You Bring Your Own Food?

Yes I always bring crackers and coffee or bottle of water. Once I brought a sandwich and realized in the small space you have now in the seats -- it was too messy! Never did it again.

I flew home Tuesday and lucky me the guy alongside of me had a hoagie yuck! 

My flights are only 2 hours therefore I really can't see why people can't eat before they get on! My other pet peeve:

People who bathe themselves in overpowering  perfume OR men's cologne...I've asked to move when possible as I'm allergic to perfumes. Have they no sense!!!

oh the joys of traveling!!!

Respected Contributor

Oh, dear; that sounds miserable!  If the airlines are going to allow passengers to bring their own food, maybe there should be a seating section for the foodies, similar to the smoking section they used to have.  Unfortunately, that wouldn't be kind to the people like the poster who takes non-smelly food like PB&J.

Occasional Contributor

@brii wrote:

That's disgusting.

I would have asked to be moved.

People are so rude...

-----

There wasn't an empty seat on the plane! It was the most disgusting flight I've ever been on. The scent of everyone's food was so overwhelming I couldn't believe how rude and inconsiderate people were. When I arrived on the plane, someone was actually sitting in my seat and her excuse for being there was that someone else took her seat. Well needless to say the flight attendant intervened but in hindsight I should have allowed her to take my seat!!Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Posha, you described it so well, I could smell it and I wasn't even there. I am so sorry you went through it.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I always bring my own food on the plane, but it's not anything that has a strong odor.  I may pack something like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

If they don't allow peanuts on a plane due to food allergies, how do you get to eat a peanut butter sandwich? 

Esteemed Contributor

I fly Southwest and do the EARLY BIRD.  I get pretty much the seat I want.  So when we get on (hubby and me) he sits near the window, I sit on the aisle end.  I watch people get on and most keep walking (we get the front).  When I see someone I think I would like to sit with I push to the middle.  They sit down "aisle".  So far so good.  I have never had a problem.   I fly three times a year.  

I do not bring my own food, just a good book, or tablet or whatever and I am fine.  I am never THAT hungry and I have not ever been with anyone who has brought food.  The snack and drink is all the three of us seem to need. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Oh my goodness! NO ONE should have to go through anything like that! Luckily, I've never had to sit next to someone who was eating their own food. I don't think they should allow "outside" food on a plane. If something like that happened to me, I'd probably talk to a flight attendant to see if there was any way I could move somewhere - anywhere! (insert "shocked" emoticon here - I miss our "old" emoticons!)

youtube-cat-401x300.jpg (401×300)

Honored Contributor

panda123 wrote:

GCR18 wrote:

I always bring my own food on the plane, but it's not anything that has a strong odor.  I may pack something like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

If they don't allow peanuts on a plane due to food allergies, how do you get to eat a peanut butter sandwich? 

some airlines still serve peanuts on planes.......and you can buy bags of peanuts and peanut candies in the airports.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

i often buy a meal in the airport to bring on the plane with me. one of my favorite items to buy is a crab salad wrap at a popular baltimore seafood eatery that has a restaurant in bwi airport.....other times it might be some type of sandwich and chips.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I frequently fly internationally and pack food.  The 'substitute' for non-meat eaters is absolutely trash. Peanut butter crackers, sliced apples with a few drops of lemon juice on them, trail mix, nuts, bottled water are my usual staples.

Thinking I've not exposed anyone to any unnecessary odors, at least no one has worn a mask next to me.

Sheesh!  All those crucifers + onions?

JUST BTW - Vick's vapor rub is the under the nose rub of choice of pathologists and those working in that general field.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras