Occasional Contributor

When You Travel By Plane - Do You Bring Your Own Food?

[ Edited ]

I had the displeasure of being seated next to a man eating out of a Tupperware container that was filled with cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts that were dripping in oil and garlic. If that wasn't bad enough, about 20 minutes later he cracked open another container that held a concoction of smoked salmon, capers and  red onions.He scooped up everything with an Onion Bagel. Of course he made no apologies for the odors and after his belly was full, he decided to nap with his mouth gaping open and whiffs of garlic and other spices permeated the space. When he woke from his nap he decided to watch a movie and then the gas started passing fast and furiously.

True story. The joy of flying coach.Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When You Travel By Plane - Do You Bring Your Own Food?

@Posha wrote:

I had the displeasure of being seated next to a man eating out of a Tupperware container that was filled cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts that were dripping in oil and garlic. If that wasn't bad enough, about 20 minutes later he cracked open another container that held a concoction of smoke salmon, capers and  red onions.He scooped up everything with an Onion Bagel. Of course he made no apologies for the odors and after his belly was full, he decided to nap with his mouth gaping open and whiffs of garlic and other spices permeated the space. When he woke from his nap he decided to watch a movie and then the gas starting passing fast and furiously.

Yuck!  You poor thing! Never had the experience and I don't bring my own food nor has anyone brought theirs, thank heavens!

Respected Contributor

I hate that they allow outside food on planes.  I've been on some flights that the pungent aromas made me sick to my stomach.

Honored Contributor

I always bring my own food on the plane, but it's not anything that has a strong odor.  I may pack something like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness! NO ONE should have to go through anything like that! Luckily, I've never had to sit next to someone who was eating their own food. I don't think they should allow "outside" food on a plane. If something like that happened to me, I'd probably talk to a flight attendant to see if there was any way I could move somewhere - anywhere! (insert "shocked" emoticon here - I miss our "old" emoticons!)

Occasional Contributor

Must have been my bad luck because in addition to the stinky guy next to me, a woman across the aisle was eating a provolone and salami sandwich and the one behind her was eating spaghetti and meatballs! Woman IndifferentWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

That's disgusting.

I would have asked to be moved.

People are so rude...

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Posha wrote:

I had the displeasure of being seated next to a man eating out of a Tupperware container that was filled cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts that were dripping in oil and garlic. If that wasn't bad enough, about 20 minutes later he cracked open another container that held a concoction of smoke salmon, capers and  red onions.He scooped up everything with an Onion Bagel. Of course he made no apologies for the odors and after his belly was full, he decided to nap with his mouth gaping open and whiffs of garlic and other spices permeated the space. When he woke from his nap he decided to watch a movie and then the gas starting passing fast and furiously.

Yuck!  You poor thing! Never had the experience and I don't bring my own food nor has anyone brought theirs, thank heavens!

LOL. As soon as l finished reading the first sentence, l knew exactly what the end result would be! I hope that wasn't a very long flight, although it surely must have felt like one!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I'm super sensitive to smells, unfortunately. 

I can smell when people eat cheap pizza (made w/garlic salt or powder--yuck!).

So it doesn't matter if they eat it on the airplane in nasty tupperware or had it in the airport, they still reek.

I do take my own food, even did when they still served meals on planes. 

But I'm choosy about what I take because I'm sitting next to my DH and don't want to be disgusting.  lol.

Doesn't matter if you're in 1st, Business class or Coach, because even the airline attendants heat up their own food and it can smell up the whole plane.

I walked into a new (to me) salon to make an appt. for a pedicure and the smell of someone's lunch overwhelmed me so bad I acted like I was just looking for a hotel (directions).  I wanted to give the place a once over before booking---that did it for me!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe I'm completely rude and awful (although I don't think I am), but I would've covered my lower face with my scarf or throw (I always bring one on a plane because I'm always freezing). If he won't make apologize for foul odors, then I shouldn't have to make apologies for escaping from them!! Maybe you should take Mentholatum with you and just slather it under your nose next time. Then stare at them the entire time they eat. Sorry, but that guy was RUDE and INCONSIDERATE. I can understand having to bring on certain foods because of food allergies, but what that guy was eating was on another level.........