Honored Contributor

Re: When You Think You Have Just About Seen Or Heard It All..

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry but the idea of anyone getting emotional over cartoon candy completely cracks me up.

Edited to add: No wait. I got it wrong. Let me try again.

I'm sorry but the idea of anyone getting emotional over cartoon candy footwear completely cracks me up.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I cannot remember the last time I saw a commercial with M&Ms.  It must have been Christmas.

Since the actual candies do not wear eyeglasses or sneakers, I wonder how many of these changes will go right over the heads of anyone watching these commercials.

I do not see anything original in these changs-it is just more of the same ol' same ol'.

*shrug*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All I can say is it worked. Everybody here noticed and is talking about product. Now if that translates into dollars for them it's a big win.

I love the peanut m&m's, and I am thinking I want a bag.

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1  I agree that blue was not the best choice. I

thought that maybe they would go with purple. Better yet,

they just should have stuck with tan, for Pete's sake.

Honored Contributor

I never heard about these changes until just now on this thread.

Talking about it is a far cry from being motivated to purchase the M&Ms.

And since, again, the candies do not come wearing glasses, sneakers, and last but not least do not come with faces-people are buying because they like the candy, not the message.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

In an odd coincidence, I bought some the other day in the check-out line, for the first time in decades.  They aren't a favorite-- although I mildly liked "Smarties" as a kid (no, not the U.S. candy known as Smarties.  In Canada, there was a virtually identical candy to M and M's, and it was called Smarties.  Fascinating, I know).

I won't be purchasing again.  And despite the efforts of some to trivialize and mock consumer reactions to corporate decisions, that feels like a pretty OK choice. 

We all make consumer decisions, all the time, based on perceptions.  Corporations that take it upon themselves to posture publicly have every right to do so--  and turned-off segments of the public will react accordingly.

Gosh, I hope "Mounds" and "Almond Joy" don't start issuing pompous treatises on their foreign policy views-- that WOULD present a dilemma....  

Honored Contributor

Say la veee la veee.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Kay sir rah sir rah.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

It's a joke....tongue-in-cheek. That's the only possible explanation. LOL

Respected Contributor

I prefer the green candy to wear her go-go boots.  If they must put her in sneakers, they could at least have a little green stripe or something on them.  Where are the candy fashion police when you need them? 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing