Honored Contributor

Re: When You Think You Have Just About Seen Or Heard It All..

[ Edited ]

@hopi wrote:

M&M peanuts USED to be one of may favorite candies.  In recent years they have changed something because the taste is different and not that pleasant to eat.  All the advertising in the world can't have people buy something that is not as good as it used to be.

@hopi 

It seems like they are putting their emphasis on unimportant and all the wrong things instead of making delicious candy ...(and if they taste different sounds like their money is going to their advertising budget instead of ingredients!!)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@hopi wrote:

M&M peanuts USED to be one of may favorite candies.  In recent years they have changed something because the taste is different and not that pleasant to eat.  All the advertising in the world can't have people buy something that is not as good as it used to be.

@hopi 

It seems like they are putting their emphasis on the wrong things....instead of making delicious candy to other unimportant things....

Maybe the company understands what is important to their target customers.

Maybe they understand that those who think certain things are "unimportant" are not the customers who bring in the money. Maybe that demographic is now unimportant to the candy company?

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

All I can say is it worked. Everybody here noticed and is talking about product. Now if that translates into dollars for them it's a big win.

I love the peanut m&m's, and I am thinking I want a bag.

@manny2 

It has just the opposite effect on me.....

images.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

All I can say is it worked. Everybody here noticed and is talking about product. Now if that translates into dollars for them it's a big win.

I love the peanut m&m's, and I am thinking I want a bag.

@manny2 

It has just the opposite effect on me.....

images.jpg

Maybe so @Spurt but you are still talking about it. That's what advertising is about grabbing our attention. My guess is they are trying to make the product appealing, and relevant. I just happen to like peanut m&m's, so i don't need an ad to buy.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a big deal. If the company wants to change the attitudes, personality of the candies fine with me. As long as they don’t change the taste, I’ll still purchase M&M’s for baking cookies and eating by the handfuls. Love them!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I tend to agree with your assessment. To promote sales, maybe the focus should be on quality control. No matter the target demographic, those buying candy are probably mostly interested in sugar, chocolate and flavor, not on the shoes cartoon candies are wearing in TV ads... Just sayin'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  I tend to agree with your assessment. To promote sales, maybe the focus should be on quality control. No matter the target demographic, those buying candy are probably mostly interested in sugar, chocolate and flavor, not on the shoes cartoon candies are wearing in TV ads... Just sayin'...

@stevieb 

download (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

download (2).jpg

@Spurt  I'm also not sure that adage about any attention being good attention still applies. At one time maybe creating spin was enough but I'd posit some consumers have become a bit more sophisticated and as ads have proliferated beyond any kind of reasonable level, I'm not sure spin is enough. I can also say that I might buy M&M's once a year and the changes outlined are not going to induce me to buy more. In fact, I find them so ridiculous I'll probably not buy them at all. There are so many choices out there, I don't need to choose this one. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

download (2).jpg

@Spurt  I'm also not sure that adage about any attention being good attention still applies. At one maybe creating spin was enough but I'd posit some consumers have become a bit more sophisticated and as ads have proliferated beyond any kind of reasonable level, I'm not sure spin is enough. I can also say that I might buy M&M's once a year and the changes outlined are not going to induce me to buy more. In fact, I find them so ridiculous I'll probably not buy them at all. There are so many choices out there, I don't need to choose this one. 

@stevieb 

Totally agree, you may be aware of someone's ad campaign but it can also have a HUGE opposite impact on someone as a consumer---take Liberty Mutual Insurance --- HATE THEIR ADS--- and will NEVER EVER purchase their insurance no matter what type of savings they offer---I have certain standards for the companies and products I spend my hard earned money on.....quality and customer service are what I look for....And how much a company seems to spend on advertising gives one cause to pause too......

M&Ms were never my favorites anyways--- I lean more towards Dove dark chocolates or dark chocolate Hershey kisses......not many ads for them must be the taste rather than silly cartoon personalities that drive their sales

Respected Contributor

I like the almond and peanut ones best.   the almond ones can be harder to find but they have them at mms.com  and a lot of different ones I've never seen in stores near me.