Honored Contributor

Re: When You Don't Have 2 Brain Cells To Rub Together!

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@MyShadowLove   I'm not sure why he moved the calf and why the calf was put down.

I know one guy took a bison calf to the sheriff's dept.

I recorded the show I will have to watch it again for that part.

@arrabella  Read my post directly above yours.

Or are you just ignoring additional facts.

Just asking.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Man had good intentions, but, what he didn't know was the calf now had human smell on him the bison could smell and they would have shunned him.

Instead of killing the calf looks like they could find a farmer, 4 H person to hand raise him, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Dodn't those people smell the awful sulfur odor that those geyers and springs give off?  That alone would keep anyone away.  

Gotta wonder if they were at an edge of an erupting volcan if they'd go and touch the lava spilling out.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@On It...They showed a guy moving a newborn bison calf.  They ended up putting the calf down.  

It's not hard people, stay away from the wild animals. It irks me that these bozos may cause the death of an animal.

@CrazyKittyLvr2...

Why was the guy even moving the newborn bison calf to begin with and why did it have to be put down?...Where was the mother of the calf?...I'm surprised she didn't attack that guy?

@MyShadowLove @CrazyKittyLvr2 @On It...

The bison calf was struggling to get up on the bank of the stream . He was going to drown. The man jumped in to save the calf. He didn't bring it to the sheriff office but up to the parking lot looking for park personnel to help.

The man turned himself in. The calf was put down because the herd had deserted him.

I believe the man had good intentions but neither the herd nor park personnel were around to assist. In his mind he felt he was saving the calf.

Could the situation have been handled better?. Could the calf have drowned? Possibly.

This story has more to it than a simple line about a man taking a calf and the calf being euthanized.

@Cakers3 ...Ah, thanks so much for filling in some more details on the incident...It definitely brings a different perspective to the situation...It certainly sounds like the man had very caring intentions and was definitely trying to help the poor newborn calf...I would not have been able to just pass it by either ...I would have informed the Park/Wildlife Personnel and let them handle it from there and would also have needed to know what would happen to the little newborn.

So sad that it was necessary to put it down...I would think that the Park/Wildlife  Personnel would have resources, such as sanctuaries, etc., but what do I know...I would be interested in knowing  why the calf was deserted by its mother and the entire herd and left in such a vulnerable situation, although I am aware that this happens with many types of Wildlife at times for various reasons.

Thanks again!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

The idiots have made Yellowstone a destination. Apparently they think it's Disney World and all the warning signs are just decoration and the buffalos are stuffed animals for picture taking purposes.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it irks me people's stupidity when it comes to wild animals. Same type of thing happens in zoos as well with the animal being put down through no fault of its own. Remember the zoo where the child went into the gorilla's enclosure so they had to kill the poor gorilla because a negligent parent wasn't watching her kid. I liked what Jeff Corwin said about it, telling parents that "zoos are not your babysitters!"  People need to respect these animals' spaces as experts say the animal reacts the same way any of us would if a stranger came in to our home unannounced.

Honored Contributor

It's like don't tease the Grizzly or pet the Bison!!!  

Hot springs, means just that, believe it!!

Honored Contributor

Drugs..

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  I seriously doubt that it is drugs, just ignorance or stupidity.

Valued Contributor

She needs a sign that reads "I'm stupid" around her neck so others can avoid her.