Honored Contributor

Re: When Whole Streets Go Together To Decorate.

No, not that I am aware of.  I guess that is a nice thing for people to do.  But then again, if this is not something you are on board with, it would make it hard for you.  And also, you might not be particularly into Christmas or believe in all of the decorating, etc.  Right now with all of the virus stuff, it also might not be a good thing to have everyone bunching together to do this, unless there was plan for people to do their part at one time and others to do their part at another time.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It is nice for the children in the neighbor hood,people use to drive around to see all the decorations.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I usually spend at least one day in Philly during the holidays, taking in all of the lights, outdoor holiday markets and department store Christmas displays. Unfortunately, not this year. 

One of my favorites places to visit is the South 13th street neighborhood that goes all out with decorations. 

Miracle on South 13th Street is an annual Christmas lights display in South Philadelphia put on by the residents of the block of 13th St. between Tasker and Morris streets. Julia Hatmaker | jhatmaker@pennlive.com

Esteemed Contributor

Not that I know of, but we did have a contestant in that light show that was on TV, there were lots of complaints from the neighborhood as there was lots of traffic.

Valued Contributor

Sounds like Stepford.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl   Thanks for the memories.  I'm from Philly.  "Back  in da day" my parents would take us "downtown" (Center City) to X-mas window shop at Gimbles & Lit Brothers displays.  Lit Brothers has some sort of X-mas tree lights display way up high.  Gimbles had the best winter wonderland displays.  Plus Santa was there to greet us! Smiley LOL

Then afterwards we were dragged Smiley LOL to South Street to a neighborhood that looked more like "Candy Lane" than X-mas.  Us kids thought we had died & went to heaven.  I wonder if it was the same neighborhood on So 13th st?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac  OMG YES!!!! We would take the train in. There was also a place indoors that we would go and see a Winter Wonderland and then have lunch with Santa....I don't remember which department store it was. Often we would "Meet under the Eagle" and my mom, her sisters and us cousins (always just the girls) would go shopping.

Wow. I had forgotten about that. I loved taking the train into Philly back then. Our station was in Paoli; we would walk to it. Memories...... Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

The whole neighborhood decorating with a theme reminds me of the Christmas movie “Christmas With the Kranks.”  It’s an old movie, but we watch it every year for laughs.

Glad we don’t live in such an area.  Too independent, I guess.

Our house is decorated in a typical New England style, which suits us just fine.  

Honored Contributor

I live near an area that are original houses that were built around near the Civil War.  They are huge with pillars, etc.

All of these houses on both sides of the steet decorate with very tasteful candles, etc.

It's beautiful riding down the streets seeing the driveways, etc with candles in bags lit up!  Also the outline of the houses are covered with white lights.  It looks something like a mini Disney street.

We used to put the girls in PJ's crank up the heat in the car and ride down the street.

There's another place where you drive your car thru.  It's lit up with musical and movable things.  We'd open up the skylight thing in the car and the girls would stand up and try to touch them.  Of course they couldn't but it was fun.

Holidays are for children mostly.  We have a lot of traditions we made up for our girls.  They now do them with their children.

Two of my girls have children.  I have 8 grandchildren with 7 living.  It's a wonderful time of year for the children to enjoy.

It's especially important this year since COVID took so many things away from them.

I have a granddaughter that graduated from high school this year.  She goes to VaTech.  She got cheated out of a lot of things.

There are things she wants to do that they haven't done since they were kids.  This granddaughter wants to do all of them this year.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac @FiddleDeeDee 

Wannamakers (now Macys) had great displays. And the organ.

https://uncoveringpa.com/christmas-things-to-do-in-philadelphia

Check out the article above. (cut and paste link). It will definitely bring back your Philly holiday memories.