Respected Contributor

Re: When Whole Streets Go Together To Decorate.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

There is a big stone house on the road home from my sister's.  It is beautiful as is, but at Christmas there are just candles in all windows a big wreath on the door.  On the outsides of the windows are greenery with red bows.

It is simple and just beautiful.  I could look at that every night as opposed to thousands of seizure inducing blinking, flashing lights,

Don't get me started on those awful blow up figures

Especially when they deflate and Santa or Frosty is lying on the lawn.  Every year I see more and more of those blow up figures and I always wonder why anyone would want to have to mess with them.  

A few years ago a neighbor put a blow up Santa on his high deck and when it deflated Santa was hanging over the balcony like a sick person over the toilet.  

It only appeared once and he told my husband that his wife forbid him from ever putting it up again.  Santa didn't go back to the North Pole, he went to the thrift store.

Honored Contributor

I live on a short road that ends in a cul-de-sac.  There are 10 houses total that generally decorate by placing a wreath on the front door and a lighted tree is visible in a front-facing window. 

Trusted Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

There is a big stone house on the road home from my sister's.  It is beautiful as is, but at Christmas there are just candles in all windows a big wreath on the door.  On the outsides of the windows are greenery with red bows.

It is simple and just beautiful.  I could look at that every night as opposed to thousands of seizure inducing blinking, flashing lights,

Don't get me started on those awful blow up figures

Especially when they deflate and Santa or Frosty is lying on the lawn.  Every year I see more and more of those blow up figures and I always wonder why anyone would want to have to mess with them.  

A few years ago a neighbor put a blow up Santa on his high deck and when it deflated Santa was hanging over the balcony like a sick person over the toilet.  

It only appeared once and he told my husband that his wife forbid him from ever putting it up again.  Santa didn't go back to the North Pole, he went to the thrift store.

@J Town Girl @CrazyKittyLvr2   Your posts had me laughing because it reminded me of a buddy back in MD; her goal at CHristmas is to have the most obnoxious lawn in the neighborhood by covering it in those blow-up Christmas figures. Why? Because kids love them and Christmas is about kids. They search out ones that are as active as possible and create a Winter Wonderland that kids can walk through or people can just look at from their cars. The lots are more than an acre where they live and found one with a small back yard and a huge front yard (which she wanted for those figures). There are snowglobes, Elves riding a ferris-wheel, Santa and Mrs. Claus dancing....the list goes on. Some came from HSN I believe. Add in strings of lights and it is kinda magical (especially when it snows). NO music though; she doesn't want noise complaints. Again, your posts made me think of her lawn; wonder what the neighbors think of it, lol?

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Quite a few in my neck of the woods.  All complete w/music!   I never actually road through or walked through.  I just watch on the news when the news reporters go there to check them out.  Those folks electric bills are enormous!!!!! Which brings me to my favorite video......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBjl-jPcVM

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Spurt Unless there's another Windcrest somewhere that goes over the top with decorations, I've been there. It was magical. The traffic did make it a slow crawl. I haven't been in several years, but it seems they're still keeping up the tradition. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My youngest son has a neighbor who decorates starting in a July.  His house and yard look like a light bomb went off.  He plays loud music and the lights are synced to it.

The problem is his house is in a cul de sac.  Hundreds of cars come every night for weeks to stop for a while to enjoy his yard and many people park elsewhere in the neighborhood and walk to see the lights.

My son can't get into or out of his driveway.  People block the driveway and won't move and some have even parked in his driveway and he couldn't get his car out of his I garage.

I asked him last Sunday if the neighbor's light display was up and running and he said.   "Not yet"

I would I hate to have a neighbor like that.  if they wanna decorate that way and draw a crowd, they should live in a rural area with no neighbors for miles.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think people who do this are obnoxious and it's better left to churches, parks and cities and business than where people live. 

I will add I do not sneer at blowup things and think many of them are funny, sweet and cute.  

Especially the two giant turkeys sitting in a yard in a town south of us where a friend lives!  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Spurt Unless there's another Windcrest somewhere that goes over the top with decorations, I've been there. It was magical. The traffic did make it a slow crawl. I haven't been in several years, but it seems they're still keeping up the tradition. 

@BlueFinch 

It does sound like its the same Windcrest we are talking about.  Every year they have a different "theme"..... but it got so crowded cars would overheat while waiting to get in.....they've kept the tradition but limit the weeks the public can view.....  We've even waited until the day after Christmas to see it, but then some homeowners chose not to turn on the lights....but its  still "magical"............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

There were a couple of streets in the town we raised our kids in that coordinated Christmas decorations, cul de sacs and people from all over would drive around one and then the other.  The decoratons were gorgeous and perfectly coordinated.  I don't know how I would handle it if I bought a house on a street like that and was "told" how to decorate my home.  I suppose if the previous owners left the decorations, I'd do it but if I had to spend money, I would have a huge decision to make.  

Respected Contributor

When I lived in California there was.  .  I didn't live on that street but I was told by people that it was a "requirement" for living there.  How that was reinforced....I do not know.