Honored Contributor

When Thomas Edison died in 1931......

....his son sent Henry Ford a test tube closed with parafin wax.  

He said it was to have held Edison's last breath.

It's on display at the Henry Ford Museum.

(From a New England Historical Society e-newsletter.) 

Honored Contributor

Re: When Thomas Edison died in 1931......

It might be. There is still a light bulb burning from Edisons time. It's a big one

Honored Contributor

Cherry--where is the light bulb?

Respected Contributor

I've been to that museum and they do have that test tube on display.  They also have the chair Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot, as well as the car JFK rode in when he was killed. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting alice!  Gives me chills. 

I never knew that Ford and Edison (and Harvey Firestone) were all good friends.  They camped together for years (in the woods, in s-t-y-l-e)!

Honored Contributor

Ford also have a guest room, in his home, just for Edision, and no one else

Honored Contributor

My brother lives real close to Edison's (winter?) home in Ft. Myers. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Cherry--where is the light bulb?

It hangs from the ceiling, in one of the buildings Edison used, as a work shop/lab

Honored Contributor

Speaking of Mr. Edison (OP hope you don't mind what I post this but it's so interesting).. 

xThe most famous individuals that would visit the area and stay at the Lynnwood Hotel may surprise you.  The visit occurred in the summer of 1918. This group of male visitors called themselves "vagabonds" and came through this area to visit Dr. Derthick of Milligan College while enroute to the Smokey Mountains to enjoy a camping trip. The gentleman that had connections to Dr. Derthick was none other than Henry Ford the founder of the Ford Motor Company and creator of mass production of vehicles. Mr. Ford became one of the richest and best known people in the world.Picture

(L-R) Thomas Edisonk Harvey Firestone Jr., John Burrows, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone Sr. Seated is R.J. Deloach

Dr. Derthick's house was behind ours and when I was a little girl, I'd look up the hill in amazement at the size..  Now it's not so big to me but still holds dear to my heart.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Thanks for that OrangeGarnet.  Would you believe one of my New England ancestor's had the first name of Orange?  Crazy!

The newsletter I rec'd this info has many pics of TE, HF and Firestone camping together. 

Ford worked for Edison years before they became friends and Edison is the one who encouraged Ford to pursue a gasoline powered engine.