Honored Contributor

When Queen Elizabeth Honored the Memory of John Fitzgerald Kennedy

[ Edited ]

https://britishheritage.com/history/queen-elizabeth-jfk-memorial

I did not know that Her Majesty did not attend funerals.  The Duke of Edinburgh represented Great Britain at the funeral of JFK.

A year and a half after JFK's assassination, Britain dedicated a memorial to the internationally beloved President.  In this video, Queen Elizabeth honors the fallen U.S. President as she dedicates his memorial at Runnymede.

Ah, the elegance of the British commentator's words, the inspiration of Queen Elizabeth's dedication speech.  

This is a moving and informative video.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip with Jackie Kennedy and her children John Jr. and Caroline during the inauguration of Britain\'s Kennedy memorial at Runnymede.

This extraordinary footage from the old British Pathé newsreels shows Queen Elizabeth paid tribute to President Kennedy as Jackie O, Caroline, and JKF Jr look on. His memorial sits on land that was gifted to the US by Britain.

Respected Contributor

Re: When Queen Elizabeth Honored the Memory of John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thank you for sharing that.  She was a remarkable woman and there are so many things those of us in the US do not know about her. I especially love reading all the antedotes about her sense of humor on the internet. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read somewhere where Jackie O, wasn't fond of the Queen and when they were hosted by the Queen she (Jackie O) didn't talk so kindly about the castle and it's decor.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

The Queen did indeed attend the funerals several people, including Winston Churchill, the former Diana, Princess of Wales, her mother, Margaret Thatcher, and a few other nonroyals.

Esteemed Contributor

The generally given explanation as to why she didn't attend JFK's funeral is that she was pregnant with Edward.