Honored Contributor

Re: When Normal Things Are A Big Deal....

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Nothing wrong at all with wanting to stay home! It is not fun to be at a social event you would rather not be at....and talking to people you would rather not be talking to. 

@Goldengate8361 OH heaven help us yes you speak the truth!!!  And I swear because it was usually for my work I was the one seated with my back to the interminable speaker and had to turn around and sit straight and look attentive while hubby and the other lucky ones were leaning on the table, chatting, and drinking tea and coffee.

My feet and back would hurt so bad when it mercifully ended then THEY would want to stand there and finish their conversations. . . Anyway @Goldengate8361 you brought back some very painful memories! Woman Very Happy Fun times but boy would my back hurt!  

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@sunala 

Hi Sunny,

Really sorry to see you had the virus, and 3 times. Such a big change in your life, neither of which, fall under the title of this thread. Neither of these were little things that changed.

I have always considered you as a good friend, and send my thoughts and best wishes to you. My biggest wish is for you to be well,  🙏

JOhn(hckynut)  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn thank you, but thankfully I didn't have covid. The person who posted before me had covid 3 times, poor thing. It showed up as my post. I hope she is totally recuperated. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My world changed when my DH came down with a rare autoimmune illness (It's similar to MS) in 2012.  Right before he got sick our son graduated from college and I thought that finally we would be able to do a lot that we couldn't do before like travel regularly.

I really thought that our sixties would be filled with travel, exploring places, visiting museums, festivals and trying out new restaurants with friends & family.  Well that mostly didn't happen.   We did get to travel a bit but could only do it with family along since they helped me a lot.  

As for Covid, at first I was a bit afraid but have not been so this last year and a half.  While home is my sanctuary, I still like to go out.  I don't wear a mask and go out often.....multiple places every week.  I also get my hair and nails done regularly.

Maybe I've been lucky but I have never gotten Covid.  I do make sure that my vitamin D levels are up and take my supplements religiously.  Perhaps that's one reason that I have not gotten sick with any sort of virus (including a cold) since the pandemic began.

Last night while sitting in the backyard, I felt a bit lonely.  It seems that many neighbors have homes at the shore or they were on vacation.  I really wish things had turned out differently with my DH and we could do things together like we used to.  I am fortunate that I got to enjoy being in Cape May for a few days with a friend last month.

At 68 I don't feel old but I have to count my blessings and remember how fortunate I am.  I realize after reading this thread that many feel differently than me. It's always interesting to read about different points of view.

Valued Contributor

This thread has been so helpful and I appreciate all the honesty.

I had a weird phone call with an acquaintance recently. She had some issue she wanted me to fix. I told her honestly and nicely that I could not fix this issue. Well, she got very angry, blamed me, and hung up on me. Later, we had another phone call where she apologized. 

We have a social gathering together coming up. Several of the members currently have covid and the plan is still to meet. We are all older adults, many with health problems.  I am thinking maybe sit this one out. I am okay being alone rather than dealing with possible covid (wide community spread here) and cranky, mean people. And I know others beyond this social group that have recently had covid.

Yet at times I feel lonely, too.