Respected Contributor

Re: When Normal Things Are A Big Deal....

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The chance of contracting COVID has a lot to do with my being a 'homebody'.  My cardiologist has said that his patients should still wear masks and socially-distance when indoors in a crowded environment.  The rise in crime makes me feel less secure when out of my house.  I am not comfortable carrying my concealed weapon everytime I leave the house.

@deepwaterdotter 

I too feel leery of COVID being diabetic.

And, I no longer feel SAFE either.   Never thought I'd say that, but there it is.  Been here since 1986, and only more recently feel insecure.  A good friend lives a couple blocks from me and had a bullet come through her roof.  Was just talking to my husband about installing a couple more security devices and locks.  I see no reason to think it will get better soon.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

The COVID lockdown changed everything for us. Since things opened back up, we have not been as anxious to go out as much as we did in the past. I agree with much of what OP said . The heat now is a big factor in keeping us inside and at home. Our grown kids tell us we need to get out more… it we are happy at home. I think they just don’t understand how anyone could be happy at home.
Honored Contributor

Interesting thread and  comments.  I have two close friends one is single/never married the other widowed at 64 years old.  The single friend and I were roommates years ago and very close.  We are all three a  group, have been for years.

They both came for a cook out yesterday and I found the converstaion to be very stale, sometimes uncomfortable.  My single friend just seems 'difficult'...she challenges most things you say and I really no longer enjoy her company.  

The other friend has not changed much, we are all about 3 years apart.  

I generally host the single friend for major holidays, the last few years I wanted to bow out of that ongoing obligation, it is just not fun anymore.

I wonder what has changed, was it me or her?  Not necessarily asking for an answer just talking out loud, lol.

Honored Contributor

I also prefer to spend my time at home. Covid took the joy out of everything and now safety has become a big concern. I had 3 good freinds--1 passed away, one is in a nursing home on hospice, and the other is on palliative care with a terminal illness. I've been retired 9 years now and my home provides me comfort, peace, and tranquility. I walk when the weather is nice and I read a lot. I mainly go to the library, clinic, grocery store, pharmacy, church, appointments, and out to eat once in awhile.

Honored Contributor

Interesting comments .....  

Well, the whole covid fiasco made the world and everyone in it a bit dangerous.    So, my world got smaller ... and, like many of you,  my home is my comfort zone.   

Oh course, I still go out .... just not as much and gas prices make me think twice about impromptu shopping trips.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow.........I thought I was the only one.  Yes, the Covid thing changed so many things.  I got used to just going out when I absolutely had to and then I had a list, got the stuff I needed and out the door.  No time for browsing.

I got used to that and now find myself doing the same thing even tho I know I don't have to.  I have gotten a little better, but sometimes I feel like a hermit.

I am finding that I tire so easily just from being around a crowd, talking, listening to all the noise, etc.  I hate feeling like this.  I'm just glad I enjoy being at home where things are familiar and I thank God that I am still able to take care of myself and still have my mind at 83 yo.........I think I do anyway Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This conversation has helped me a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

My preference for being home happened long beore Covid.  I dealt with the public for decades, spent hours of my life on the phone (hence my dislike of yakking on the phone).

I retired and almost immediately DH diagnosed with cancer and retirement was Drs., hospitals, tests and sitting in waiting rooms for hours. Luckily, I was able to be with him, I would have quit work if I hadn't retired.

When the dust settled, and he was better, I was just plain tired. I was sick of dealing with people and wanted just peace and quiet.

Add a lot of people have gone completely insane and I just don't have the energy to deal with it.

I would rather be happy at home instead of muttering under my breath at 80% of the people in the "wild".

Valued Contributor

to the op: I feel the same way. I'm almost glad I have an excuse not to drive, for the time bing, because of some medications I'm taking (my doctor decided that, not me, and it's one of the very few clever diagnosis she's made lately).

I've lived all over the country and I never thought there were any drivers worse than in New York, but now I'm in Washington state (with a few stops in between) and they're the absolute worst.

Valued Contributor

Yeah, everything is a freaking effort now. Just to make a call to the doc is an ordeal. Dealing with insurance, schools, ANYTHING is just a PITA. Maybe it always was and we didn't notice. I don't know. I DO know everyone in our world is simply fed up with it.

"Coming to ya from Florida"

I know exactly how you feel; I feel the same way.