Trusted Contributor

Re: When Normal Things Are A Big Deal....

We RARELY go out. Even going to the grocery store elicits a huge sigh. For us, it's just the drive time due to traffic. Is it worth to drive "here" we will say? And 99.99% of the time the answer is "No". Things are much more spread out, drivers stink, traffic stinks and it's hot. It's just too much to do it. We drive an hour plus each way to our jobs; one son drives 45 minutes plus to college. We are all sick of it. 

The thing is, our commutes to DC were long and crappy as well. The difference is doing errands, going to places we enjoyed were a short commute, traffic was minimal and it wasn't hot all the time. Big difference because having to drive a long time all the time is just.....it wears you down.

Yeah, everything is a freaking effort now. Just to make a call to the doc is an ordeal. Dealing with insurance, schools, ANYTHING is just a PITA. Maybe it always was and we didn't notice. I don't know. I DO know everyone in our world is simply fed up with it.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

I don't want to go anywhere. I'd rather stay home with my dog...... 

Trusted Contributor

I am a natural homebody; however, I make a concerted effort to get out and about.  It's a rare day that I stay home. I can always, at least, find errands to run. I walk 4 days a week at the local indoor mall which provides me with some good cardio.  Just the other day I went to a water conservation garden by myself to get some ideas for a landscaping job I'm having done at a rental I own.  I spent a good hour and a half walking the trails and taking pictures of all the various plants and flowers.

I'm 69 and have been retired for 7 yrs.  I don't remember where I heard it, but I was told, no matter what "don't sit down because it becomes too easy to not get back up".  If

I stay home there's not really much to do. I don't watch tv during the day. My SO is the gardner and I only do light house cleaning. I can only clean out the closets so many times.  I'm a voracious reader but I save all my reading for the evening before going to bed.  I have started meeting up with friends the last few months.

Thankfully, I've never had any major health issues and just try my best to stay as active as possible.

Honored Contributor

Since retiring, I became more reclusive, I believe.  I was never a real social person to begin with.  I always enjoyed an occasional lunch out or shopping trip with a friend or two.  Then, covid hit and I really don't go any place except for doctor, pharmacy, food store and and occasionally to another store, but that's about it.  When I had to get up and get moving every morning for work and put myself together from A to Z, I was just programmed and was on auto pilot.  Now, I often feel like -- ugh, I don't want to go out because it's too much work!  I have always been a homebody and would rather stay home and read or watch t.v. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

DH & I are all but retired...he has one project to finish, hopefully by next summer. I do the paperwork/accounting for the business. But we are working from home now, and my part only takes a couple of hours maybe twice a week.

After 48 years of working full time, I am SO enjoying being home more! I love being home more than anywhere. I do go to church, grocery shopping, dr appts, etc. and occasionally meet a friend for lunch, but I'm not a big socializer, though we did do more of that years ago.

We didn't close our business during COVID--some of our projects were considered "essential", but I honestly enjoyed not feeling like I "should" be going somewhere, or doing something! So now, even though restrictions are lifted, my "new normal" is much quieter, and I'm happy with that.

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  I live in the country where things are really spread out.  A simple trip to CVS is over 20 miles round trip. So are decent grocery stores, my dr. and the vet, Dunkin. and pizza place etc.  Forget delivery to you. We are too far out.

When I worked it was 28 miles round trip and I reallly didn't mind it until the last couple years before I retired.. It's a long drive in bad weather. And yes, drivers are nuts and getting worse.

My only saving grace is DD works in civilization and is near Wegmans, Target and has to pass CVS going to and from work. 

I guess, I'm tired and holy cow, I have no patience anymore with people. It is better for me to be home and keep my BP down.

Honored Contributor

I had COVID in January 2021, and the stresses of numerous family issues combined with my 5 week infection threw me into a Fibro flare which has persisted.

I've identified that fatigue, mild depression, lack of sleep, lack of energy, that kind of stuff ALL contribute to my current home bound state.

I'm getting out more, forcing myself at times, because this isn't ME. I love my home, I love my yard and my gardens and flower beds, but I'm still interested in the big and little pleasures that I've misplaced. 

Even getting to my treasured Trader Joe's is an effort.

I still enjoyed my band practices whenever we were able to hold them.

I perservere.....

Respected Contributor

I'm a SAHM.  When we moved to where we are now, I didn't "connect" with people.  I'll talk to neighbors when I see them but people really just seem to stay indoors and I don't see them that often, even before Covid.  I like where I'm living a lot now, the neighbors and community are much nicer people than where we used to live.  It doesn't boter me not meeting someone for lunch and stuff like that.  I've been a home body for a long time now.  I find myself even more content at home.  

Regular Contributor

Reading all the posts I feel as so many of you. On one hand I dread when I have to go out to the store, doctor appointments or the pharmacy. Have to wear the mask so no need to wear lipstick and all the other beauty applications.  Years ago, I would not have been seen out and about looking so lax. With glasses and a mask you look like a masked bandit, so it really does not matter.   On the other hand, I do miss getting dressed up for work and wearing my jewelry.  I do miss those days but there is nothing sweeter than knowing today I do not need to go out at all - can just do whatever comes to mind.    

Honored Contributor

@sugarbee 

I so identified with what you said.  It is a relief to not have to be some place all the time and be all put together all the time, but yet on the other hand, I miss getting myself all ready with my nice clothes, jewelry, shoes, makeup, etc.  I have always been a lover of fashion and took pride in my appearance.  I loved experimenting with differenrt makeups and I have always especially loved lipstick and gloss.  Now, with covid, I feel like - what's the point of makeup -- nobody sees my face and it's a wasted effort.  I also wear glasses and feel the same as you expressed.  It's like you are an anonymous person.  I am not really outgoing but I always looked forward to exchanging smiles with strangers when I would go out and saying hello and maybe a word or two.  Now, nobody knows whether you are scowling at them or not.  I am relieved to be retired but covid came just when I was looking forward to having the freedom to do what I wanted, go where I wanted and do what I wanted.  Aging is hard enough, without having to deal with all of this other stuff.  I am thankful and grateful that I have my husband and we have companionship and that means a lot.  Take care and wishing you many blessings.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin