Esteemed Contributor

When Normal Things Are A Big Deal....

I don't go out alot.  My choice, not because of Covid or any one reason, I prefer being home. Funny for someone who was rarely home a few years ago.

I went to lunch yesterday with 3 friends, all current or former legal secretaries and co-workers. Two of the women, younger than me, are still working. All 3 live 20 miles away and we haven't seen each other in quite awhile.

I was happy to see them and had a great time.  I told  my son and he said, "Good, you need to go out more."  

Odd how you can change in such a short time.  I was always on the go, work, dinner out with friends and hubby, visiting with family, always up for fun.  Now, it is sometimes like pulling teeth to get me out and about.

Honored Contributor

Re: When Normal Things Are A Big Deal....

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I understand.  While many people can't wait to get together with friends and family, I have almost no desire to do so.  I have gotten so used to my own company and DH that I'm not sure I even know how to "socialize" anymore--LOL!!.  We're currently on a 12 day trip to NY State and City and I'm looking forward to going home.  And I used to LOVE to travel.  It's amazing what one can get used to.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , I'm exactly the same way. Even going to the grocery store is more than I care to do. I wasn't always this way. Don't know even how or when it happened.

Trusted Contributor

Welcome to my world!  I've had the same experience of finding myself happiest to be home, alone, in just recent years. I'm not reclusive, or inhibited,  I just know I'm not as willing or wanting to be out doing things and seeing people as I was even just a few years ago. 

I know this about me, I accept it, I don't think it needs to change or it needs to be treated in some way. 

But I definitely acknowledge I've changed and it is not related to Covid or any trauma or particular reason. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I think there may be lots of us feeling this way and it's as valid for us as other styles are for other people. Enjoy life on your terms. You can like going out occasionally and like returning home even better. 

Esteemed Contributor

My parents have been gone a long time, they would be shocked and amazed at their very social daughter now.

I never went anywhere without make-up etc.

Yesterday I was showered/hair washed, clean clothes, moisturizer and I actually put on lipstick. I was good with it, and guess what, so were my friends.

No idea where the "old Jane" went.

Esteemed Contributor

In my case I feel Covid did have something to do with it.   We also prefer to be home , not that we went out a lot but a lot more than we do now!     I did miss my friends and family but we get to see the ones we care to see now, I don't make efforts to go out to see only "aquiantances" anymore.    

Honored Contributor

Maybe some of us got used to being happy and content at home.  

Honored Contributor

Ladies, if you love home and hearth, enjoy!

I had already interviewed and had a hiring date before I retired from teaching.

Sitting on the deck every summer while school was out, and when I had my hysterectomy, I knew I didn't want to stay home on a larger basis.

I enjoy people and color too much.

I dislike yard work, we live in an area called the "roller coaster", not good for walking or my allergies.

Honored Contributor

The chance of contracting COVID has a lot to do with my being a 'homebody'.  My cardiologist has said that his patients should still wear masks and socially-distance when indoors in a crowded environment.  The rise in crime makes me feel less secure when out of my house.  I am not comfortable carrying my concealed weapon everytime I leave the house.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Maybe some of us got used to being happy and content at home.  

@rms1954   I think you are correct.  During Covid, we had to adapt being inside and away from things.

I think many people found they rather enjoyed it and are happy doing so now. 

It does eliminate stress, annoyances and people overload.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF