Honored Contributor

Re: When Municipal Agencies Don't do Their jobs......

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most places would have sent the man and his pennies aways as this one should have.   It's obvious his intent was not honorable and even the government doesn't have to put up with a bunch of BS. 

It says more about the jerk of a guy than the employees.  The person who is head of the office should have sent him and the pennies packing.  It is a misuse of govt. funds and resources for sure to have to count that.

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The idea of doing away with pennies has been around a long time.  Many people don't place any value in them any longer.  

Pennies are Legal Tender and the office had to accept them as payment.  Yes, the man was petty but dealing with any State's DMV can be a nightmare.  New Jersey has to be one of the worse. 

It depends where in NJ.  I take care of these type of things for a family member in NJ.  There's one office that's always crazy busy & inefficient, and another - fairly close by - that's the complete opposite.  Helpful employees, short wait times, almost always fast in & out with little to no stress. 

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

He paid in legal currency.

He had a debt and he paid it.

Legal currency can not be refused.

There is no federal requirement that private businesses (this wasn't a private business though) must accept coins as payment, they can develop their own policies unless ther is a state law that says otherwise. While the federal law says coins are legal tender, it does not compel anyone to accept them. 

I totally agree with you @mtc about the grandstanding. 

@Irshgrl31201, Oh yes there is!

Oh no there isn't. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan, have you ever gone to Woodbridge?  UGH!!

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@NYC Susan, have you ever gone to Woodbridge?  UGH!!

No, not for this.  But I have gone there for shopping!  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

There is no federal requirement that private businesses (this wasn't a private business though) must accept coins as payment, they can develop their own policies unless ther is a state law that says otherwise. While the federal law says coins are legal tender, it does not compel anyone to accept them. 

Oh no there isn't. 

As @Irshgrl31201 has explained, there is not.

I'm sure we've all seen signs at various private businesses indicating what they will and will not accept, and they are well within the law to do that.

The DMV is not a private business, and she said that several posts ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

I'm surprised that the municipalities don't have a sign stating loose pennies for payment not to exceed 99 cents.  

Can't do that by law.  I would like to have believed most read the entire article.  I did post a link.  We can a lot on a daily basis @Lovingq.

I did read the entire article, but a lot of people don't like to click on links because of the potential problems that can cause.  

@NYC Susan, did I say that you did not?  I don't recall saying that you didn't....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@itiswhatitis, regardless of what it cost him it also cost every taxpayer in his state.  The employees that answered his repeated phone calls, the employees that fulfilled his FOIA requests, the people that worked on the lawsuits he filed,  the employees that counted the pennies were all tax dollar paid employees.

Unintended consequences?  Perhaps but consequences just the same.  Consequences resulting from one individuals ego.

They should do their jobs.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to call seeking answers or assistance from a local agency in my state.  Either the phones are not answered; I get the wrong information; no one knows what I'm talking about and the fact that they are slow.  I USED TO WORK FOR THE STATE AND LOCAL LEVEL IN MY STATE years ago and it wasn't as bad then as it is now.  @Marp, they get paid to do a job and don't want the public to know how to reach them?  NO!!!!  GOOD FOR THIS MAN!

He did this AFTER he was given the phone numbers that he requested.  He went to court and got what he wanted.  There was no need for further "revenge".

@NYC Susan, yeah then he called and was hung up on.  And calling some more.  I guess this is what drew his ire.  These people work for the taxpayers.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The idea of doing away with pennies has been around a long time.  Many people don't place any value in them any longer.  

Pennies are Legal Tender and the office had to accept them as payment.  Yes, the man was petty but dealing with any State's DMV can be a nightmare.  New Jersey has to be one of the worse. 

YES.  NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT THAT!!!!  THANK YOU.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

Oh no there isn't. 

As @Irshgrl31201 has explained, there is not.

I'm sure we've all seen signs at various private businesses indicating what they will and will not accept, and they are well within the law to do that.

The DMV is not a private business, and she said that several posts ago.

Yes, businesses put signs up all the time that state nothing larger than a $20 bill.

I am sure she will read this and still argue @NYC Susan and even say the Treasury dept is wrong if it is anything like the great debate of an "opening act" thread. lol!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK