Esteemed Contributor

Re: When Municipal Agencies Don't do Their jobs......

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Less than 24 hours later, he collected hundreds of rolls of pennies to pay his taxes at the DMV. He then hired 11 people at $10 an hour to help him break open the rolled coins. It took them four hours to do this, costing Stafford $440. He then bought the five wheelbarrows, which cost him another $400. All in all, Stafford spent $1,005 to get 10 phone numbers and drop off a bunch of pennies at the DMV.

Not to mention the $2,987.14 he had to pay in taxes, which he happily brought to the DMV on Wednesday morning.

The DMV had to accept his form of payment because the US Coinage Act of 1965 says that coins are “legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes and dues.” @Kachina624 @Irshgrl31201.

According to Stafford, the employees at the DMV did not cause a fuss.

“The DMV employees are being very respectful and accommodating considering the situation,” he wrote on his website.

The DMV may have had to accept it but a private business does not @itiswhatitis just like I said in my previous post.

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

No where above did I make mention of the Federal Government.  The content of the story makes mention of why the DMV let him pay with the pennies.  Did you read the story @Irshgrl31201?  That's where I got that information.

Then you insisted on bringing in the Federal Government because of the excerpt from the story.  That's what the story said.  READ IT.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Ummmm...........what kind of car costs nearly $3,000 to register?

I guess folk that live in Virginia would know.  Doesn't the weight of the vehicle and axles have a say in how much registration is?  Then there are those pesky taxes @Desertdi.

@itiswhatitis   Mine is $360 (AZ) and I thought THAT was high...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis@NYC Susan@Irshgrl31201 Nobody,  government agency,  individual or business has to accept a hoard of pennies as payment for anything.   Period. 

Posting for the SECOND TIME. 

parking ticket with pennies.  At first he was rebuffed, but he later convinced the borough to reconsider, claiming that 31 U.S.C. § 5103 requires all "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks)" to be accepted as "legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."  I think he lucked out.  The attorney who wrote the first article I linked remarks that the Treasury Department itself notes "There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services." Legal Tender Status  Even the federal Government itself refuses to accept any form of cash in certain transactions, for example the filing of legal documents with the United States courts by mandated electronic filers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Maybe the mint should stop making pennies.

I wish they would, I hate pennies!

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most places would have sent the man and his pennies aways as this one should have.   It's obvious his intent was not honorable and even the government doesn't have to put up with a bunch of BS. 

It says more about the jerk of a guy than the employees.  The person who is head of the office should have sent him and the pennies packing.  It is a misuse of govt. funds and resources for sure to have to count that.

Misuse of Government funds to collect government funds?  How does that one work @Sooner?

Because it takes up the time of people providing government services, thereby depriving others of timely service.  It is such a shame that news agencies and internet sites publicize such jerks as this guy who do nothing buy cry and cause trouble for innocent people.  Think of all the time spent messing with these pennies when people were waiting in line for their needs to be met. 

Honored Contributor

I read where this guy said his arms were hurting, he was getting exhausted and he took several SMOKE breaks.  

Between being extremely unhealthy & having a mind FULL of hate & angst, this gentleman was one.nano.penny, away from a MASSIVE heart attack/stroke. 

So much hate planning, plotting, calling, organizing, money to prove a point....important to no one.   I predict all that mental hate is shaving decades from his life.

Good luck, dude. 

Honored Contributor

I did not read any article but was half watching a segment on the news about this.  Evidently he made sure there were news cameras there to document his "15 minutes".  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Most places would have sent the man and his pennies aways as this one should have.   It's obvious his intent was not honorable and even the government doesn't have to put up with a bunch of BS. 

It says more about the jerk of a guy than the employees.  The person who is head of the office should have sent him and the pennies packing.  It is a misuse of govt. funds and resources for sure to have to count that.

Misuse of Government funds to collect government funds?  How does that one work @Sooner?

Because it takes up the time of people providing government services, thereby depriving others of timely service.  It is such a shame that news agencies and internet sites publicize such jerks as this guy who do nothing buy cry and cause trouble for innocent people.  Think of all the time spent messing with these pennies when people were waiting in line for their needs to be met. 

It's their job and it was that agency's call to make their workers do it.  I think that the agency is better able to determine what and how much work their employees have to do @Sooner.  They took the pennies.....

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@itiswhatitis, regardless of what it cost him it also cost every taxpayer in his state.  The employees that answered his repeated phone calls, the employees that fulfilled his FOIA requests, the people that worked on the lawsuits he filed,  the employees that counted the pennies were all tax dollar paid employees.

Unintended consequences?  Perhaps but consequences just the same.  Consequences resulting from one individuals ego.

No ego about it.

The governments at all levels think they do not have to respond to those they serve. They are an out of control, bloated, overspending, egotistical bunch that aren't responsive to the needs of the people who pay their salaries.

I say good for him. There is no wasted taxpayer money if it makes any government agency toe the line and do their job. 

How many of us have tried to get phone numbers to speak to a real live person either in business or in government at some time in our lives, only to run into one dead end after another? There is no excuse for it, especially when by law, that information and their services are mandated. 

I say kudos to him! If more people followed through like this, we might end up saving a ton of money in the long run as people are forced to do their jobs, and get the performance out of our agencies and governments we should expect and we are paying for. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@itiswhatitis, regardless of what it cost him it also cost every taxpayer in his state.  The employees that answered his repeated phone calls, the employees that fulfilled his FOIA requests, the people that worked on the lawsuits he filed,  the employees that counted the pennies were all tax dollar paid employees.

Unintended consequences?  Perhaps but consequences just the same.  Consequences resulting from one individuals ego.

No ego about it.

The governments at all levels think they do not have to respond to those they serve. They are an out of control, bloated, overspending, egotistical bunch that aren't responsive to the needs of the people who pay their salaries.

I say good for him. There is no wasted taxpayer money if it makes any government agency toe the line and do their job. 

How many of us have tried to get phone numbers to speak to a real live person either in business or in government at some time in our lives, only to run into one dead end after another? There is no excuse for it, especially when by law, that information and their services are mandated. 

I say kudos to him! If more people followed through like this, we might end up saving a ton of money in the long run as people are forced to do their jobs, and get the performance out of our agencies and governments we should expect and we are paying for. 

Thank you.  I see it the same way @Mominohio.  I'm sick of it too.

*Call Tyrone*