Honored Contributor

Re: When Is It Safe to be Around Someone Who Has Had Covid-19?

I also don't see how anyone knew 6 months ago that they had COVID-19.

It does seem that there are people who have not been tested and just think that they must have had it because of their symptoms.  Except that they could very well have had something else.

But we don't know what immunity someone may or may not have after having it, or for how long if they do.  And we don't know when it is really safe, either, to be around someone after they have tested negative. 

We just don't know quite a lot about this virus, unfortunately.

Your best bet is to stay a good distance away from her, wear a mask, and see her in an outdoor environment.  If you want to see her.  You can't know for sure that it's 100% safe, but I think we DO know that this would be a lot safer than seeing her indoors, close together, and no masks.

Honored Contributor

I don't know why this question keeps popping up. 

The various answers are always the same; just on new threads.

The CDC, the local health department, your own PCP-they have the answers.

@wismiss If you think you have been exposed, contact professionals for guidance.

It's just that simple.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I think it's a critical question. Unfortunately, no one yet has an answer.

There is no way we can say what exactly what immunity means for this virus -- whether it exists and/or how long it lasts.

My grandson became ill in March. Then a couple weeks later, my daughter did as well. She tested positive and believes that she probably got it from her son. Her husband and daughter also presented with symptoms.

So the three besides my daughter are presumed to have had the virus.

My daughter had the antibodies test, andit was positive for antibodies. So now what, given the problem with the tests and the lack of knowing what it means? As an aside, she was not able to donate plasma because of her too narrow veing (my fault).

We are still not getting in close contact with them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't know why this question keeps popping up. 

The various answers are always the same; just on new threads.

The CDC, the local health department, your own PCP-they have the answers.

@wismiss If you think you have been exposed, contact professionals for guidance.

It's just that simple.

@Cakers3 

Maybe you've noticed that there are a lot of people who don't trust the CDC or the professionals?

Just sayin

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss I don't know the answer, but I'm curious… Have you been around them at all in the last six months?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

This is a new virus. No one knows yet IF antibodies give any protection at all. 

Trusted Contributor

This person had the very same symptoms in December as in May, with the same results----pnuemonia.  She is in her 20's and does not have any extenuating health conditions.  She tested positive in May.  She is still in the process of being retested periodically presently.  I have not been in her presence, but am concerned if she would want to "visit".

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

This person had the very same symptoms in December as in May, with the same results----pnuemonia.  She is in her 20's and does not have any extenuating health conditions.  She tested positive in May.  She is still in the process of being retested periodically presently.  I have not been in her presence, but am concerned if she would want to "visit".

@wismiss, until she has been cleared by her doctor of health officials, I would avoid her like the plague -- literally speaking.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Was the person presumptive positive and sick or tested and positive for Covid twice? I’d do telemedicine and speak to an infectious disease physician or pulmonologist who has treated Covid patients if you don’t know any
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I think it's a critical question. Unfortunately, no one yet has an answer.

There is no way we can say what exactly what immunity means for this virus -- whether it exists and/or how long it lasts.

My grandson became ill in March. Then a couple weeks later, my daughter did as well. She tested positive and believes that she probably got it from her son. Her husband and daughter also presented with symptoms.

So the three besides my daughter are presumed to have had the virus.

My daughter had the antibodies test, andit was positive for antibodies. So now what, given the problem with the tests and the lack of knowing what it means? As an aside, she was not able to donate plasma because of her too narrow veing (my fault).

We are still not getting in close contact with them.

@suzyQ3   Nobody is saying that it is not a critical question.

The issue is asking here; look at the responses.

Nobody here is a professional when it comes to COVID-19.

"I read somewhere".

"I heard somewhere".

"I know someone somewhere".

Adding confusion and fostering deeper fear is the result.

We are aware that we don't know everything; but asking this question time and time again still ends up with no concrete and valuable answer.

I see too much fear sometimes in these threads; and it is fostered by answers that are all over the place, often not based in fact, and in the end nobody still knows the right answer.

So what should the OP do?  Choose the most comfortable answer for her situation?  Or contact her own PCP and/or local health community?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh