Esteemed Contributor

Re: When I was a Child......

@qualitygal Oh I just thought of another thing, candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars, the cigarettes even had the tip tinted red for the glow, my brother and I thought we were so cool pretending we were smoking, thankfully neither one of us grew up to smoke!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears, how about the straws with dry powder really sweet! Made you pucker up. And the little white paper with little colored button candies all over them?

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal Pixie Stix, wasn't that the name for them?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears, yes!!! You are just cracking me up here. Cracker Jacks!

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal I will have you know once in awhile I still treat myself to a box of Cracker Jack's, and YES I still get excited to see what prize I have!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I'm sitting here, more memories are popping into my head that might fall into the category of "weird"....

I was a good child, very obedient and very quiet. But when I got to the 6th grade, all heck broke loose. I had a best friend -- we were The Odd Couple because she was the shortest girl in the class and I was the tallest. Anyhow, she taught me how to cuss (horrors!) and we'd spend hours talking to each other where every other word was a cuss word. It made me feel extremely adult and very important. I only cussed in her presence, though.

Speaking of retro candy, we'd go to her house for lunch during the school day since she lived so close to school. On our way back to school, we'd stop in the penny candy store for those wax soda bottles, Astro pops, red hots, dots on paper, chocolate "rockets" on a stick, chocolate babies, Banana Split chews, Mary Janes and, one thing not mentioned yet.... those little styrofoam-like flying saucers filled with tiny candy dots.

Flying Saucers

A dime went a really long way in those days!  :-)

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Mersha  Going OT to say "Hello" and mention that we will soon have Roland Garros to keep us entertained.  Hoping that Rafa can muster up enough tennis chops to earn another win on his beloved clay.  It is too long between the Austrailian Open and Roland Garros.  Enjoy your holiday weekend!  DEEP    

Hello, Deep!!!!!! 

So glad you said hi.  I hope you are well.  Yes, qualies going on this week and play begins this weekend.  Hope Rafa is healthy as I would love to see him win another on the clay.

Take care!!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

I lived out of the US and when we would vacation here, we would fill up on "American" candy!  Cracker jacks, Double Bobble gum, Tootsie Rolls, Mary Janes, Necco Wafers and marshmallow creme.  

My mother would return home with jars of marshmallow

creme.  She would often hold "make your own sundae" parties. There were tables of sundae essentials - different ice creams, fudge sauce, caramel sauce, candies, little cookies. whipped cream and warm marshmallow creme. Guests could construct their own sundaes ...always a huge hit!!  Have to say, my mother had the best party ideas....

Esteemed Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I don't remember eating ice from the freezer of the "ice box", but I did my share of helping my mom defrost the darn thing every so often! Ugh!

We rarely had soda back then, so ice cold water was the thing to keep us cool. We had a large glass jar that had a funny little top with a lid that would flop open when you turned it sideways to fill a glass. I would love to find one of those today! 

The 1950's when I grew up were so carefree as far as kids having freedom to roam around the neighborhood (at least in the small town where I lived). No one thought about kidnappings or any such thing.

I had to do that as well.  I remember how long it took and all the mess it made.  But eating that snowy like ice that built up before it got hard was sooo good.  Sort of like a snow cone w/o syrup!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Image result for old time snow cone scrapers and machinesImage result for old time snow cone scrapers and machinesImage result for old time snow cone scrapers and machines

*Call Tyrone*