Honored Contributor

Re: When I was a Child......

@viva923 wrote:

we use to play king on the mountain on huge dirt hills from the housing being built in the subdivision my house was in. We would play till late at night. Can't remember time, but it was dark. 

We played that out on the dock in the lake as kids. I think it was called the dock. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a fun thread!

@LdyBugz

We must have had the same childhood :-)

I teach 7th grade and we use glue sticks in the classroom.  Recently, we ran out of them and I brought out several containers of Elmer's liquid glue. I taught the class how to dry it on their hands and pull it off... yep... it's not in the curriculum, but I thought it was necessary, lol.

I grew up in NYC and we used to chase after the mosquito sprayer truck as it was puffing out clouds of DDT.  What the h#% were we thinking?!

Also, we'd have "boat races" following our popsicle sticks in the water runoff in the gutter when someone was hosing their sidewalk or washing a car.. running down the street after them to see whose stick got to the sewer drain first.  Don't judge.. it might have been a regional thing...

We'd spend countless hours bouncing a pink Spalding ball under and around our legs as we sang songs that went with it.

Also, we'd have contests by putting a penny on the sidewalk and bouncing the ball at it.

Some of our front stoops (porches) had lots of steps and we'd challenge each other to see who could jump from the highest one. This didn't always end well, nor did walking the "balance beam" down the brick "railing" on the stoop.  It's hard to explain this, but I guess those of you who grew up in urban environments might know what I'm talking about.

Stoop ball - if you've played it you'll know what I'm referring to.

Running through sprinklers and playing the "harp" with the water - none of us had swimming pools.

And we all had the same curfew - when the street lights came on it was time to head home!

Oh, my! There are so many things. Thank you OP for bringing them to mind.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I used to love to sniff the copies we were given in school.  I think they were printed in blue ink and a "Mimeograph" was used to print them.

When I was in elementary school, I remember passing them around, and the first thing every kid would do was sniff his/her copy!  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

When I was a child...

I used to think a watermelon would grow on top of my head if I swallowed the seeds.  (thanks to my older neighbor, Eddie)

I used to play Kick the Can and catch lightening bugs until my momma told me for the millionth time that it was time to come in.

I used to pitch a tent in the back yard and pretend I was out in the wilderness.

I used to beg my mom for a bed time story and she'd read me one even though I now know how dog tired she must have been after putting in a long day's work, making dinner, etc.

I used to drink from the outside water faucet or the garden hose because the water tasted so much better that way. (even though my older sister kept telling me how un-ladylike that was)

I used to dress my cat up in my doll's clothes and push him up and down the street in a doll buggy, but he didn't mind at all.

LOL, I could go on and on...

Esteemed Contributor

We used to...

Image result for ironing hair

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

We couldn't wait for the new comics to come out...

Image result for kids reading comic books

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for painted to the ground hopscotch in nyc

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Related image

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Some will remember running home for lunch and watching Soupy Sales...

Image result for soupy sales

Image result for soupy sales

Esteemed Contributor

Or Kukla, Fran and Ollie...

Image result for kukla fran and ollie