Honored Contributor

Re: When Drs gave a shot if you were sick in the 50s and 60s..

Ha.......they were those big 10" needles that looked like a soda straw.......and nobody was gonna get near me with one of those (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I remember the Dr coming to the house in the 60's...I had Scarlett Fever....

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

Very likely it was penicillin.

Maybe -  and maybe that's why my doc never came to the house -  although we didn't know how allergic to penicillin I was until I was a teen.  No one still alive to tell me for sure, but I don't remember anyone being treated at home ever.

Respected Contributor

we had a doctor who came to the house when i was very sick . i think i was 2 and i remember him sitting by my bed and steam coming from somewhere. later when we were older we went to his office, we would get a shot and a lollipop. the nurse wore white and a white hat and her shoes squeaked on the high polished floor.  the furniture was really old-school, enamel white. very sterile and spare back then.

Honored Contributor

My father was a GP.  When I was little we lived in a big old house over his office. I believe the magic shot of penicillin.  The only shots I remember getting in the arm were polio and vaccinations.  When you were sick, it was always a shot in the bum. (I think) I remember penicillin pills too. Back in the 1950's pills were not coated and always seemed to get stuck in my throat. (and started to dissolve)  They left an awful taste.

Valued Contributor

I remember the doctor coming to my house too and it was a BIG deal in my family ...  My Mom had to straighten the house, etc. ...  I don't remember getting a shot unless I went to his office.  I do remember it wasn't long after the visit and I was feeling better ...  No joke the medicine worked !!   my niece's little boy was sick this week too and once again no medicine just nebulizer treatments ... Usually not given until a second visit unless he can confirm an infection ...

Respected Contributor

i remember our doctor coming to the house when i was sick.  he was sitting next to me on my bed and i sneezed and had a nose bleed at the same time so i sneezed blood all over his nice white shirt.  uh oh.  he was covered in it.

Respected Contributor

I remember getting penicillin shots when we were sick.  They hurt like the dickens, but boy did they work fast.  This 10 day stuff takes forever to work.  I would much rather have that shot and be done with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Now that I am an adult, I would much rather have a fast working shot than wait for the meds to work.  But I HATED pulling down my PJs and undies for the Dr to give me a shot in the bum bum!!  I don't ever remember going to a Dr office until I was in my teens.

Respected Contributor

And you did not have to be a affluent family to receive a house call.

Yes, the overuse of antibiotics by humans has resulted in resistanct bugs but also eating animals that were fed antibiotics is also at fault too.