Respected Contributor

Re: When Drs gave a shot if you were sick in the 50s and 60s..

I don't remember ever having the doctor coming to the house.  As a child, I had oversized tonsils & was plagued with frequent bouts of tonsillitis.  I was taken to the doctor who examined me - " say ahhh" - & the nurse gave me the shot of penicillin in the butt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those shots sure worked, and they worked fast, too!  I (as a young child) had a terrible ear ache; the doc promptly came to the house, ear ache was gone in a flash!  (No waiting days and days for the pills to work.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

'Now that I'm thinking about it' (again, lol), just maybe there was some type of pain killer in those shots, too.  How could we feel so much better so fast? 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I certainly remember those house calls and those shots. They did work but the needle was every child's fear. One time, when my kid brother was sick, the pediatrician came to the house, but my brother was too fast for him. He ran out of our apartment and disappeared. The doctor left, my brother returned, and he recovered without he dreaded shot.

Respected Contributor

My country doctor gave us "pink" pills.  Probably sulfa or penicillin.

Esteemed Contributor

I had an old school doc in the 80's who would give a shot of penecillin in the bum and then a script for a few days of antibiotics. The shot in the bum went into the glute muscle where he said it would last longer than if injected directly into the bloodstream. 

He would also swab & culture my sinuses which hardly any one does any more. 

1 Visit. Never had to return or beg for a refill of a script. I would get well. Like healthy & well. 

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'Now that I'm thinking about it' (again, lol), just maybe there was some type of pain killer in those shots, too.  How could we feel so much better so fast? 

@ROMARY  Nah, lol, it works fast. They were very high doses. If you had strep throat, you usually got one in each cheek. Argh. The same prodigal they had for VD but at least you weren't sick for days (or weeks!) on end. 

Honored Contributor

I remember the doctor home visits.  

the doctor we went too would give us shots but can't remember  if it was for being really sick or just for a sniffle. i know i was getting many shots growing up for horrible ear infections i had till i had my tonsills out in 2nd grade.

i do remember that he told my parents i was on the pill before i got married.. that was so very many years ago when the pill was concidered taboo.

Honored Contributor

We didn't have a Dr that came to the house or got shots.  The only illness I can think of as a child was chickenpox in the second grade.

Respected Contributor

yes i remember. wonderful Dr Lyman came to the house  -   and it was most likely penicillin as i remember that experience, too (who could forget?).