Esteemed Contributor

When Drs gave a shot if you were sick in the 50s and 60s..

I can remember when I was little, and my older brother and I were sick, the Dr would come to the house and give us a shot (always in the bum).  I hated those but they worked like a charm, what was in that shot???  Anyone know??

Respected Contributor

Re: When Drs gave a shot if you were sick in the 50s and 60s..

Very likely it was penicillin.

Honored Contributor

Our doctor didn't do that. He treated us appropriately for what we had. if we had the flu he treated our fever - a cold - he would order us a vaporizer with vicks salve in it to help the congestion. The only time I ever got a shot that I can recall was when I had a ear infection - he opened the ear drum to drain it and gave me a shot of penicillin. 

Honored Contributor

I don't remember any magical shot but I sure remember so many shots were in the butt.  What was with that?  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I assumed it may have been penicillin but i seem to remember we got that shot no matter what we had and always felt better quickly.  Maybe our pediatrician was just sadistic!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm not old enough to remember house calls, but I remember quite a few shots.  Nothing that made me well in a hurry though.  Mostly polio shots!  OUCH!

Respected Contributor

In addition to penicillin, I believe sulfa was a commonly used antibiotic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, it was probably Penicillin.  Our family doctor lived just a few doors down from us.  I remember a housecall and getting a shot in the bum for something.  I also remember him making housecalls when I had the 3-day Measles, regular Measles, and Mumps.  When I got a gash on my cheek from one of the neighborhood kids, I went over to the doc's house and he fixed me up immediately.

Trusted Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I assumed it may have been penicillin but i seem to remember we got that shot no matter what we had and always felt better quickly.  Maybe our pediatrician was just sadistic!!!

That's why we have so many antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria now.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Probably penicillin. When I worked at the hospital in the 80's, when we got sick, we would get a high dose penicillin shot. By the next day, you were 100 percent better. I wish they would still do it!  But boy do they hurt.