Honored Contributor

When Did "Green Monday" Start?

I guess I missed this before! Like all of us, this time of year I'm just wishing I had a few extra days by myself to get some things done! How many other "special days" do we have coming up? It's hard to keep track with Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Green Monday, etc! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: When Did "Green Monday" Start?

Fom Wikipedia:

Green Monday is an online retail industry term similar to Cyber Monday. The term was coined by eBay in 2007[1] to describe the best sales day in December,[2][3] usually the second Monday of December. Green Monday is defined more specifically by business research organization comScore as the last Monday with at least 10 days prior to Christmas.

In 2009, $854 million was spent online in the US on Green Monday,[4] with sales in 2011 reaching $1.133 billion.[5] In 2012, Green Monday topped out at $1.27 billion, up 13% from 2011 and the third heaviest online sales day for the season behind Cyber Monday and Dec. 4, 2012 (which had no marketing tie-in), according to comScore.[6] In 2014, Green Monday online sales grossed a record $1.6 billion, albeit still lower than Cyber Monday's $2.68 billion during the same year.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom, I was wondering the same thing after getting several email ads offering their Green Monday deals. This was a first for me, lol.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know about it either. I'm always done Christmas shopping before or in Nov & the Winter property tax bill arrives in Dec so I'm not looking to buy anything...I have no green left to spend on Green Monday.

Super Contributor

Me either the money tree is bare!

Super Contributor

As you waste your breath complaining about life, someone out there is breathing their last. Appreciate what you have. Be thankful and stop complaining. Live more, complain less. Have more smiles, less stress. 

Smiley HappyWoman HappyCat HappyMan Happy

Honored Contributor

I thought the same thing...lol   I never heard of Green Monday.  It's just another ruse to separate us from our money.   A pretend sale day.  Everyday from through the end of January is a big sale day.  But nothing like Purple Thursday!!!

Respected Contributor

I don't remember hearing about Green Monday either.  LOL

Respected Contributor

This is the first time I've ever heard of Green Monday.  My guess:  it's probably just another sales tactic to get us to spend more money.