Frequent Contributor

Re: Whats the most unusual name you ever heard?

The lady who cuts my hair. Her name is MuSu.

A colonoscopy Doctor in my area named Dr. Butt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was still working, I had to deal with a tech whose name was "Peter Thing."  I would silently crack up every time he called because he always emphasized that last name .  .  . I think he was just baiting someone to have a reaction. 

We also have a "Doctor Doctor" in our area, and he is a doctor.

My own first name is very unusual.  People comment on it all the time, and I've never heard of another person with it, or had someone say they knew someone with the same name.  It's a legit name too, not a made-up Hollywood type name.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@Leu, my grandmother's best friend was named Leila, pronounced that way. I thought it was a lovely name--and still do! Her middle name was Aurelia.

@KaySD

That was my mother's mother's name, but she called herself "Sally."  I never refer to her as my "grandmother," because she was a wicked witch who made my mother's life hell. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Believe it or not, I knew a person whose parents named him Trojan.

Respected Contributor

I worked with a lady who went by the name Mary because her given name was actually Meow... and she found it easier with less snickering or questions than to answer a phone call saying "This is Meow"  

Honored Contributor

I know a pair of twins.  Their names are Shira (Hebrew for song) and Gila (Hebrew for Dance)  Very pretty names.  People are contantly asking about them.

Honored Contributor

@cotto22 wrote:

I live in the Houston area, where there was a very prominent family in history named Hogg. They were involved in politics and very much into philanthropy. One of the daughters was named Ima. Seriously.

I am in Tyler Texas and sitting right down the street from my old Jr. High  Hogg Jr. High School.  Everyone joked about Ima and we all said there really was another name Ura but he only had the one child.  Great school and I believe a pretty good Governor but I could never figure out why in the world he could name his child that.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

There was a family in our town whose surname was Duck.  They named one of their sons Donald Duck. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

There is a dentist in the town next to ours named Dr DeKay...DW

Honored Contributor

@corismom1 wrote:

Honestly, this is a true story. My daughter is a neo natal physical therapist in New Orleans. They had a set of triplets born awhile ago and they were named Unique, Clinque and Anique. Seriously!!  How about that?

Sounds like a name we all saw in the paper years ago when they listed the child's name, it was IAMUNIQUE( I am Unique)-isn't that crazy???