Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever happened to the poster...............

[ Edited ]

@puttypiesmom wrote:

To avoid being banned for flagging.  If you see many offensive posts in a single thread and you flag all of them, well, I think that's obvious to understand, though not fair imo to ever ban the person doing the reporting.  If you were part of that discussion, sometimes you are caught in the same net as the offensive people.  It's how you react that determines your fate.  

People react differently when it happens to them.  Some cuss out the mods in emails or over the phone ranting about all the bad apples who are left and how dare they eliminate you.  Those who do that usually don't get back on.    

That's very good advice, @puttypiesmom.    It doesn't relate specifically to the situations I've just recently learned of, but it's exceptionally good advice for us all.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

thank you @dooBdoo!  Guess people assume it's not true if it hasn't happened to them or their friends. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

To avoid being banned for flagging.  If you see many offensive posts in a single thread and you flag all of them, well, I think that's obvious to understand, though not fair imo to ever ban the person doing the reporting.  If you were part of that discussion, sometimes you are caught in the same net as the offensive people.  It's how you react that determines your fate.  

People react differently when it happens to them.  Some cuss out the mods in emails or over the phone ranting about all the bad apples who are left and how dare they eliminate you.  Those who do that usually don't get back on.    

@puttypiesmom   I agree with most of what you have said BUT I have had things removed and felt I said nothing wrong.   Yet, I see a few that can say anything and never get their comments removed.   This is how I look at it, when it is no longer fun to be here, leave because there are so many other forums online. 

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@BalletBabe

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@BalletBabe 

Makes valid points, personally can't imagine becoming close with someone never met, I'm cautious about emotional connections on social media. 

@Sweet_Serenity   You know I felt that way at one time.  It never happened here, but several years ago, I was playing a game called ice breakers on aol.  They had a chat on the side of the game and several of us got to really like each other.  Aol started having issues with the chat, and everyone was having a fit that we could not talk anymore.   I opened a chatroom for us and we met in there for about 8 years and had a blast.  We  meet on facebook now.  These girls sent my hubby a shower chair when he was sick.   They pitched in and sent me money when my hubby passed. They have all become some of the best friends I ever had. 

❤️ @BalletBabe❤️   You've been through so much sadness.   My heart goes out to you.   I agree with you about forming connections on the internet -- I've done so, and with only one exception that comes to mind I've found people of good will, loving hearts, and sweet, supportive spirits.   I'm glad you found this, too.

@dooBdooThank You!   I feel lucky to have met these girls.  We used to laugh so hard we would cry.  They would even call and talk to my hubby   LOL   I Kept telling him he needed to get a rx for a chair and he kept saying I am not ready. The day the chair came , he had just gotten out of the hospital with Pneumonia.  When the box came I said that is weird we have a package and I didn't order anything.  When I opened it , he started to cry. I said it is from the chatroom girls.  He could not believe it because his family did nothing for him. 

Esteemed Contributor

What throws me off is when people change their Avatar. It takes me awhile to realize okay I remember you!

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@puttypiesmom   I agree with most of what you have said BUT I have had things removed and felt I said nothing wrong.   Yet, I see a few that can say anything and never get their comments removed.   This is how I look at it, when it is no longer fun to be here, leave because there are so many other forums online. 

@BalletBabeunfortunately if a person questions a mod about that, they risk getting banned for challenging moderation.  I think that each mod has their own way of doing things and some are more strict than others.  Also, as they get to know posters, they have their favorites and became very biased.  I have read comments such about the recent long time person here who supposedly was so nice they couldn't believe she's permanently banned.  A prime example of preferential treatment toward a person who clearly was rude to many for so long and yet it took years.   

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@BalletBabeunfortunately if a person questions a mod about that, they risk getting banned for challenging moderation.  I think that each mod has their own way of doing things and some are more strict than others.  Also, as they get to know posters, they have their favorites and became very biased.  I have read comments such about the recent long time person here who supposedly was so nice they couldn't believe she's permanently banned.  A prime example of preferential treatment toward a person who clearly was rude to many for so long and yet it took years.   

@puttypiesmom  Well if that is what is being done it is wrong.  I can understand not to question on the boards, but if they email and not given an answer that is wrong.

Honored Contributor

I have made a greatc, close friend here.  We have been friends for over 10 years.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@luvmydoggies wrote:

One or more of the mods or maybe the web site software have been banning posters permanently -- forever - for simple things like flagging a post even when the flagged post is removed by the mod as inappropriate.

No warnings just permanant bans. I know this from other comments here on the boards and from some of the Facebook group conversations.

So now people are afraid to post or report anything. 

Not a good atmosphere.

Smiley Sad

I find that extremely hard to believe.

I don't find it hard to believe, not at all, and in fact think it's an important and factual heads up.   I don't want to disparage another poster who's trying to relay beneficial information, partly because I think most people are truthful and I give them the benefit of the doubt -- but especially since I've become aware of some similar very perplexing situations and I know it's true in their cases.    Haven't spoken up about them because I'm still extremely puzzled by some of the confusing changes that seem to be underway.

I didnt disparage anyone.

I said I found it hard to believe.

I'm basing that on personal interactions I have had with several of the mods here.

I'm sure someone DID tell her that.....but it doesn't square with my experience, is all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I didnt disparage anyone.

I said I found it hard to believe.

I'm basing that on personal interactions I have had with several of the mods here.

I'm sure someone DID tell her that.....but it doesn't square with my experience, is all.

My comment was intended to mean that  don't want to disparage anyone, @YorkieonmyPillow. 😊   I think, after reading your response to me, that I shouldn't have quoted your post without being more specific in my response, because I can see how it sounds.   I also am basing my comments on personal interactions with the moderators and, in addition, with some people in my life who have very recently experienced almost exactly what @luvmydoggies reported.   As much as I'd like to, I can't go into detail since it involves personal concerns that the moderators -- understandably -- don't want us to discuss here.   My apology for the misunderstanding -- I write in a hurry sometimes, and not always well...  and I should have been more clear.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova