Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened to Integrity of Public Officials?

[ Edited ]

It's not just public officials.  It floors me that a lot of my co-workers seem to leave their own morals and values at the time clock when they are on paycheck time.  Just because the company handed you a rule book of policies and procedures for what they expect doesn't mean you stop being a human being.   Manners and the spirit of the rules rather than the letter makes for a much more pleasant experience for all. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I honestly  believe that THEY start out with good intentions and the power grab factor takes over.  But I can see how it would happen.  Think about it.  Think about your friends, your relatives, all those people who help you.  NOW PUT YOURSELF IN POWER.  IT WOULD SEEM HUMAN NATURE TO WANT TO HELP SOMEONE WHO HELPS YOU. 

My remedy.... TERM LIMITS.  No one can get in and stay in what looks like forever.  

I think you have solved the problem! ITA! They get in to power situations and then don't want to let go. Enough of this madness. I would trust the first 10 people listed in my local phone book MORE than ANY 10 members of congress! I will not vote for any incumbents from now on (my remedy!).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dare I say that some (emphasize some) parents are a bit lax now-a-days.  (Well, for several years.)  Too many shenanigans going on re: their teens, etc.   'When the cat's away, the mice will play'........lol.  (Actually, even when the cat's home.)  ...... Integrity trickles down, and also upward, it seems, now-a-days.  Parents wanting to be their kids' 'best friends', so they 'go with the flow', and bend all sorts of (integrity) rules.  (I KNOW, I'm off-track.  Sorry.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Warning: Not an exact quote, and said with humor: 'If fifty is the new thirty, then that would mean that thirty is the new ten'.  (Tom Bergeron on DWTS, many years ago).  Said humorously, and not a complete exact quote, possibly.  Made me laugh at the time............Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

'Sometimes', along with power, comes arrogance.  (Emphasize 'Sometimes'; In General; not directed toward one person or group; etc.)

Honored Contributor

There are certainly issues although I suspect things weren't snow white in the past, but phone calls don't leave trails the way email does; therefore, I don't think we have a handle on any actual changes.

Also, prior to the Internet we tended to know pretty much what made our local papers instead of hearing about the infractions from many, many places.  That alone is enough to make me think some days that the world is coming to an end.

Trusted Contributor

I think integrity has probably always been an issue with some public officials.  However, we have more ways now of discovering their lack of integrity.....24 hour news channels, internet, email, etc.

Plus, many people these days are just over-consumed with status and putting on a big show to convey just how special they think they are.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I agree w/TERM LIMITS! It's not the (fill in the politician's name) seat, it's the peoples' seat!

I teach American History and Consitution and our representative republic was NEVER supposed to have 'career' politicians, and have them enjoy living off the backs of their constituents. They (George Washington, especially) used as role models, the early Greeks and Romans (Cinncinatus), who served their people, putting the needs of the people ahead of their own desires, often selflessly.

I am often discouraged at the double speak of politicians, especially in the federal government, but am reminded daily of the heroic sacrifices made by my countrymen, whether veterans or civilian.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

I live in PA and was reading the paper this morning about a PA Supreme Court judge being called on inappropriate emails.  It just seems as though every time I read the paper or internet there is another public official being relieved of their duties due to poor judgement.

Whatever happend to people with integrity, morals and a good role model?  Do they start off OK but then get tainted when they enter office?  I don't know if it is happening more or that since we have news 24/7 we just hear about it more.  Either way it's very discouraging. 

Any judge can have a "distinguished career" but that doesn't make them a decent human being ....  or even just a nice person.

Anyone remember the Judge Clarence Thomas hearings when Anita Hill accused him of nasty secksual advances?  

I forget what year that was, but the entire room was filled with men horrified that a woman would come forward and spill the beans .... heaven only knows what they were guilty of!

I give Anita Hill a lot of credit for coming forward, as it couldn't have been easy for her to stand up to all of the scrutiny!

Honored Contributor

"Whatever Happened to Integrity of Public Officials?"

What integrity?

There has always been corruption with public officials.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices